Fitting YJ springs to a Samurai

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Re: Fitting YJ springs to a Samurai

Post by Ladaman » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:58 pm

gp7186 wrote:I would strongly advise not re-drilling the springs as they will snap through the old hole. I personally would move the rear spring shackle eye back by 3" then I would make the chassis extensions into a rear bumper to absorb the overhang of the mounts
I thought that might be said :cry:

Plan point 1 then it is.
dan_2k_uk wrote:Wow they have taken some axle wrap!!!
I was a bit surprised too. More powerful engine, low gearing and a Lockright don't mix with skinny springs. :lol:
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:46 pm

Ladaman wrote:I was a bit surprised too. More powerful engine, low gearing and a Lockright don't mix with skinny springs. :lol:
Sounds like you need a bambar, mate. I would like one myself...

1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

suzukisteve
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by suzukisteve » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:17 pm

right lads, so far, no joy with the shocks. most of the people there aren't familiar with em. However I'll keep you updated
pickle power!

trotter
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by trotter » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:26 pm

Jordi wrote:
dan_2k_uk wrote:I'm interested in this. Don't wanna buy cheap crap this time round.
Ditto.

Ditto aswell
if in doubt, FLAT OUT!

mans tool kit > duct tape, wd40 and a bfh is all you ever need

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:25 pm

suzukisteve wrote:right lads, so far, no joy with the shocks. most of the people there aren't familiar with em. However I'll keep you updated
Keep trying Steve.

In the mean time, I've dropped an email to eshocks.com requesting a quote for 4 off and 24 off Bilstein 5100 shocks with 14" travel, part number 33-185576 and 255/70 valving. To be delivered to me in the UK, also to be delivered to a business I work for who have a place a few hundred miles from eshocks in the USA.

I will have a chat at work regarding delivery from our place in the US to the UK.
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:02 pm

Here's an interesting question. Well I think it is a little interesting ;)

Has anyone ever seen or fitted a missing link set up on the rear?
I've made some mounts for the front location on the rear springs, and the shackle I got with my "new" springs are a good few inches further back (due to longer Navara springs).

I had D flex shackles fitted with the Sammi springs, and thought they were okay. So I should get extra flex if I make missing links, but is there a downside I haven't considered?

I will put some pics up later. :lol:
YouTube

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:45 pm

Pics as promised.
photo 2a.JPG
photo 2a.JPG (2.1 MiB) Viewed 7287 times
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG (2.12 MiB) Viewed 7287 times
This is with no weight on the axle, so the shackle should get a little angle on it with weight, or I could just shorten the horizontal mount.

Any thoughts?
YouTube

gp7186
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by gp7186 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:33 pm

Nice work! To be honest they way that you have tied your relocation bracket into that crossmember, I think you could of drilled the hole the extra 2.5" forward and turned the spring around allowing you to run a standard shackle. Im a bit wary of missing links for road use but this does not stop you making them so that you can lock them up using a removable pin which you can take out when off road just a thought
1991 Suzuki Samurai, 1.6 16v MPFI, 4.16:1 Transfer Box, Rear Lockrite Diff, SPOA, YJ Springs, 31X10.5x15 Maxxis Trepador Tyres on BK Wheels, 8000LB Winch and Bumper, PAS Conversion

Anton

Post by Anton » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:11 pm

Aren't missing links just another take on d-flex shackles? I've heard that, when you're driving across (not up/down) an incline, they can "snap" open, making your SJ very tippy and more likely to roll.

I've never seen/experienced that, though.

Have you considered quarter elliptic? Should offer you a similar increase in flex, but a more progressive opening of the extra "leaf" should make it more predictable. I say should...

And quarter elliptic really needs a wishbone type upper link or a panhard rod to triangulate your axle, otherwise they can flex a bit on the horizontal axis.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Rhinoman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Rhinoman » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:04 pm

Ladaman wrote:
photo 3.JPG
This is with no weight on the axle, so the shackle should get a little angle on it with weight, or I could just shorten the horizontal mount.
Any thoughts?
I would put some angle on it, it looks like it could fold back the wrong way and bend the spring.
2006 Jimny JLX+ 1.3 VVT
2000 Vitara 4u2 - Calmini 3+3, 33" MTs, 5:83 R&Ps, winch bumper, remapped ECU.
1986 Suzuki SJ413K - G16 conversion
1984 Suzuki SJ410 - Blitz