Suzuki Ignis Engine in a Sammi

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Re: Suzuki Ignis Engine in a Sammi

Post by Ladaman » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:38 pm

Well I got the old tank out, and tried the Ignis tank in the same place, but it's a bit longer front to back. :shock:
As I've just got my hands on some YJ springs (to fit during the winter, possibly), and I believe these will push the axle back further. I didn't want to fit the tank underneath only for it to be hit by the rear diff'.

I've knocked up some support legs to mount it in the rear. Not too keen, but my hand was forced a little.

I've re fitted the Sammi radiator as it's a little larger than the Ignis one. Pipework still to do.
Remounting the power steering pump looks like it will be interesting, but it's staying on as it was a great improvement on the existing wheels, never mind the 31's on beadlock rims that are lurking in my cellar :lol:

I will add some pics, when the bits are finished and painted.
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:44 pm

As promised a few pics of the tank fitted in the rear.

There's not a lot of space left in there now, but it's not like I'm going to use it for shopping is it? I have a wife for that!! :shock:

Good job she's just gone to bed. :hahaha:

A little bit closer.
Attachments
Fuel tank 5.JPG
Fuel tank 5.JPG (1.6 MiB) Viewed 7341 times
Fuel tank 1.jpg
Fuel tank 1.jpg (1.93 MiB) Viewed 7341 times
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:01 pm

At least you can pretty much guarantee it will be safe there. Just make sure all the breathers are properly fitted and go to the outside.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:23 pm

I've swapped the bulk of the main water pipes tonight. I managed to source the water outlet pipe from the head, water outlet cap for the back of the head and thermostat housing for the back of the water pump from a Jimny M13A engine.
All a straight forward exchange of parts, so lets see if the inlet manifold still fits as the Ignis one is very different in shape to the Jimny one.
YouTube

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:55 am

Ladaman wrote:I've swapped the bulk of the main water pipes tonight. I managed to source the water outlet pipe from the head, water outlet cap for the back of the head and thermostat housing for the back of the water pump from a Jimny M13A engine.
All a straight forward exchange of parts, so lets see if the inlet manifold still fits as the Ignis one is very different in shape to the Jimny one.
Don't quote me on this, but I've read somewhere online that all the M series blocks are the same, they're just different internals - pistons, rods, cranks (and the M18 has larger cylinder liners). All the heads are the same except the M18, which has larger ports or valves.

Oh, and the timing on the 13 is belt, the timing on the rest is chain.

So if that information is correct, you should be able to swap most parts from an M13 onto any other M series engine (at least the ones sold in the UK, I don't think we get the M18).

Would be nice to know how close that info is to being correct, in case I end up doing an M swap...

:brows:
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:38 pm

ScottieJ wrote:That looks good matey! :thumbup: just make sure you take your time welding the flange on, last thing you want to do after all that work is warp it!,
Well I was warned, I thought I had taken my time with it, but when I finally offered it up for the first time today, guess what? Yes it's bloody warped!!!! :argh: :evil: :pissed:
Even after some time trying to "adjust" it with a BFH it wasn't having it. :blowup:

Luckily the guy who I bought the hoses off had a spare sump kicking about, so I now have a Jimny sump, it just needs a good clean and it will be fine. Oh I had the added bonus that he gave me a Jimny paddle clutch plate. I think it needs re lining, but for the money you just can't say no, can you?

As the engine was out, I've adapted my Vitara power steering pump set up to suit this block. A bit of a pain, but I think I've sorted it at the second attempt. The first attempt had the pump too low and fouled the chassis. :oops:

I've also ordered a standard Jimny clutch as the Ignis friction plate is much smaller on the splines. So all being well by the end of next weekend the engine, clutch and gearbox should be back in for the last time for a while.
YouTube

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:43 pm

Happy days. Sounds like good progress has been made recently. One of the best engine swap threads i've read in a long time.

Has it actually been running in the Zuk yet or have i missed that bit?
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:47 pm

Jordi wrote:Has it actually been running in the Zuk yet or have i missed that bit?
:hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha:

It's been sometime since it ran. The last time was Dec 2011 I think!!

So no you haven't missed that bit, I just sooooooo wish it had myself. Quite a few hurdles to clear before that mighty day.
YouTube

Anton

Post by Anton » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:58 am

Ladaman wrote:
Jordi wrote:Has it actually been running in the Zuk yet or have i missed that bit?
:hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha:

It's been sometime since it ran. The last time was Dec 2011 I think!!

So no you haven't missed that bit, I just sooooooo wish it had myself. Quite a few hurdles to clear before that mighty day.
Dude, you're getting there! That's more than anyone can say about mine at the moment... ;)
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Sat May 04, 2013 12:02 am

Again, thanks for the positive comments guys. It's nice to see people are interested.

I've got a wanted add on the site, but it doesn't look like that is seen by many so I will add it here also.

http://forum.suzukiclubuk.co.uk/vi ... =19&t=7402

Just after an oil pick up pipe to suit this engine, but from a Jimny. I'm going to inquire about the cost of a new one, but so far I've struggled with adjusting the existing one. Maybe I was just a bit tired when I was trying, so maybe tomorrow it might be easier. ;)
YouTube