Was Ralph's Tin Top, Now it's Adams after 2 other owners.

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
Martin86
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Re: Was Ralph's Tin Top, Now it's Adams after 2 other owners

Post by Martin86 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:16 am

Thats Great, Do you have one of the Inside where it mounts. Sorry for being a Pest! :D

NylonAdmiral
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by NylonAdmiral » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:48 pm

Hi Martin86, sorry I only just noticed this message. I'll take some better pictures for you when I can.
1.6 16v, Rock Lobster, PAS, Muddyzook rear disc conversion, coated in Raptor, 33in x 10.5, heated seats, lovingly restored by Scottie!

NylonAdmiral
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by NylonAdmiral » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:15 pm

I started work on the tintop the other day so thought I'd post some pictures in this thread.

Unfortunately, it appears that since the truck left SCUK ownership it hasn't been very well looked after and is going to need a bit of a second restoration.

I don't have a lot of time left to get quite a lot of work done on it so Scottie came over to give me a hand last Saturday to speed things up.

I wanted to try and get a bit of the VL done so we started cutting out the arches. Things were looking pretty good when we offered up one of Scotties 33s:
33s.jpg
33s.jpg (217.62 KiB) Viewed 8125 times
33s2.jpg
33s2.jpg (180.28 KiB) Viewed 8125 times
At the same time, we started cutting away at the bulkhead. It was at this point that we found some problems.
Bulkhead.jpg
Bulkhead.jpg (144.81 KiB) Viewed 8125 times
Cutting.jpg
Cutting.jpg (111.62 KiB) Viewed 8125 times
Since Ralph has had it, the footwells had got a bit rusty. Worse still, rather than cutting out the rot and repairing it properly, someone had simply welded a plate over the problem which trapped more water and causes the rust to get worse. There is a special place in hell for people that do this.

We started taking a closer look and realised that the rust had spread quite badly. I decided to cut it all out, do it once and solve the problem properly. I've pulled the body off the chassis and will cut it all out and replace both the sill and the section of the floor, then carry on and finish the VL.
Rust.jpg
Rust.jpg (165.83 KiB) Viewed 8125 times
Hopefully Scottie and I will make a decent day of it again on Saturday and resolve most of the problem.

It's a bit of a bummer about the rust but it's nothing that can't be fixed and the rest of it is still pretty tidy.
1.6 16v, Rock Lobster, PAS, Muddyzook rear disc conversion, coated in Raptor, 33in x 10.5, heated seats, lovingly restored by Scottie!

Anton
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:14 am

Yikes! Not nice finding a surprise like that, but it looks like you caught it before it caused terminal damage...
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

NylonAdmiral
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by NylonAdmiral » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:47 am

Yeah it's perfectly fixable, it's just frustrating that it's also perfectly preventable.

It probably would still only be a minor rust hole in the floor if some tard hadn't badly welded the plates over the top of the problem and exasperated it. :argh:

Just to be clear though, all the repairs that can be seen earlier in this build thread still look as good as they were in the pictures. :doublethumbs:

I think it looks ace with the 33s on though and once I've finished with it it'll be good for another 10 years of laning I think so at least it'll be another Zuk saved from rotting away somewhere. :salute:

NylonAdmiral
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by NylonAdmiral » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:49 am

Oh yeah, and check out the awesome bumpstops I found whilst doing the work lol
Bumpstops.jpg
Bumpstops.jpg (240.37 KiB) Viewed 8103 times

Martin86
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Martin86 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:17 am

NylonAdmiral wrote:Hi Martin86, sorry I only just noticed this message. I'll take some better pictures for you when I can.
Thanks! :D Good work so far :D

NylonAdmiral
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by NylonAdmiral » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:02 pm

Scottie and I got a bit more done yesterday.

We managed to get the majority of the rust cut out on this side and got the replacement box section sill tacked in place.

Hopefully I'll have most of the repair panels cut out and welded in by next weekend so I can flip it over and do the other side too.

I also bought a 16v Vitara to take the engine out of too so will hopefully have that done relatively soon as well.
RearArch2.JPG
RearArch2.JPG (108.26 KiB) Viewed 8069 times
Rearfloor.JPG
Rearfloor.JPG (147.22 KiB) Viewed 8069 times
FrontFootwell.JPG
FrontFootwell.JPG (89.1 KiB) Viewed 8069 times
NewSill.JPG
NewSill.JPG (170.68 KiB) Viewed 8069 times

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:29 pm

That's one hell of a sill. :shock:

I'm sure that will see the youngest person on here out.
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

NylonAdmiral
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by NylonAdmiral » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:34 pm

Ha ha, yeah it's tacked in place there and will be cut to the right length once all the other panels are cut out and fitted.

It looks big but it's actually smaller that the original. It's only 80mm x 80mm whereas the sill which was cut off was 130mm x 80mm.

The only difference really is that its 3mm gauge so it's quite a bit thicker but that's the only size that was available. Once the work is finished it will be almost indistinguishable from the original sill.

My plan is to just do everything once and do it right so that the truck will last a long time.