Suzuki Ignis Engine in a Sammi

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Re: Suzuki Ignis Engine in a Sammi

Post by twiss » Tue May 21, 2013 4:45 pm

hahah I didnt say i didnt like doing electrics, I just think its extra stuff to break! Scottie's got the right idea, only use the bare minimum!
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Wed May 22, 2013 9:05 pm

Right a bit of help required please.

I've totally disregarded all advice re keeping the loom to a minimum, 'cos I'm getting a bit excited and want it running.

I've basically got both looms in the car at the moment all lived and earthed up. All plugs seem to be connected except for the obvious like Ignis lights, electric windows, wipers etc...

I've even got the Ignis dash hanging in the engine bay, and it all lights up as expected with the Ignis key.

But the small trigger wire that goes to the starter solenoid is not seeing any juice when the key is turned.

If I swap over to the Sammy solenoid trigger wire, the engine turns over, but no sign of life.

As the Ignis had some form of immobiliser, is it possible due to the time it's not been connected it could have died?

Any pointers?
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed May 22, 2013 10:15 pm

:lol: sounds confusing to me, have you got both ignition barrels wired up then and turned on when trying to start it?

The immobiliser in my GV is a small silver box like this, not sure if the ignis does? If so is it connected?
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.02 MiB) Viewed 7365 times
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Wed May 22, 2013 10:46 pm

Mmmm, me too.

I've got this wired in. I believe it to be the immobiliser.

The Sammi never had an key, but a battery isolator, all this is turned on, lights work etc so I presume the Sammi loom is working fine.

The lead that went from the isolator to the starter, the heavy one is now connected to the terminal that would have gone to the + on the Ignis battery. The idea being this energises the Ignis loom. This is live as the dash is lighting up.

At the back of the ignition switch I am getting 12v some permanent, some switched, and the one I believe should be the starter trigger goes live on the final turn of the key with 12v.

I have checked the spade that connects to the starter soleniod to the switched ignition live for continuity and all seem fine, but it doesn't give any volts when turning the key :er:

This is what makes me think the immobiliser is not triggering correctly.

Any ideas on how I could check this?
Attachments
Immobiliser.JPG
Immobiliser.JPG (1.69 MiB) Viewed 7359 times
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

Darrell
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Darrell » Wed May 22, 2013 11:24 pm

Looking at the only (free) workshop manual I could find the immobilizer cuts out the ignition and the injectors. It shows the starter circuit connected as normal, so it should turn over ??
I think the coil antenna for reading the key code is built into the immobilizer control module or is it fitted nearby.
Attachments
ignis 1.png
ignis 1.png (87.07 KiB) Viewed 7351 times
ignis crank.png
ignis crank.png (44.88 KiB) Viewed 7351 times
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Wed May 22, 2013 11:29 pm

Why didn't I just look first ...........

Yes it is ..............
index.jpg
index.jpg (6.36 KiB) Viewed 7349 times
919275361.jpg
919275361.jpg (88.62 KiB) Viewed 7349 times
So why won't it even turn over.... I dunno :er:

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Wed May 22, 2013 11:39 pm

Even stranger now.

I've got the whole ignition bit as per the pic, so it should crank, but not fire with an immobiliser issue then. I can't get it to crank with the Ignis loom. :er:

Darrell could you post me a link to the manual? I've searched and failed to find one myself.
YouTube

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Wed May 22, 2013 11:47 pm

Urm :er: No!!

I downloaded it weeks ago when you asked something (Can't remember what) and I can't remember where I found it as I searched shit loads of sites before I found it.
I must be getting old :oops: :bawling:

PM me your email and I will send it via "Yousendit" as it's probably to large a file to send direct.

Anton
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Thu May 23, 2013 9:49 am

Ladaman - if you're trying to convince me to forget the standard loom and go for a custom loom and megasquirt, you're doing a bang up job!

Hope you get it sorted mate, I don't even have the faintest clue what the problem could be! All I can think of is try finding out which pins on the ECU do what, and use a multimeter to measure the lines responsible for injectors, spark and starter to see what they do when you turn the key - maybe that'd give you an idea of where the problem lies.

Sorry if that's a stupid idea for whatever reason, I know nothing about ECU's. Don't they usually have an output to plug into a diagnostics computer/laptop? Would that be a possibility?
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Thu May 23, 2013 9:40 pm

YouTube