Grand Vitara 4WD

All tech relating to the Suzuki Vitara that won't relate to any other models, Front IFS etc.
dented
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Grand Vitara 4WD

Post by dented » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:30 pm

I noticed a couple of times after using 4WD seriously (deep mud /climbs ) that,despite changing back to 2WD promptly ,as I got to the tarmac the transfer gears whined & there was a tendency to pull to the left.It dawned on me that (despite the 4WD indicator extinguishing) it must be stuck in 4WD.So I did the old trick of reversing on a grass verge,that seemed to clear it OK.But there was no mention in the handbook of this possibility...!.Any of you folks experienced this 'wind-up' even when going back to 2WD ,ASAP, on unsurfaced track??
Mick

Jay18
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Re: Grand Vitara 4WD

Post by Jay18 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:24 pm

I've never noticed it on mine, I did find that it won't engiage 4wd if the front wheels aren't straight, but never noticed any wired whining before, but I do only use 4wd when towing my caravan in a muddy field, so no serious offroading...
2003 Grand Vitara 2.0 16v
16x7 Black 8 spokes
Nexen road tyres
32mm spacers
Kenwood Double Din Head Unit
Hidden CB radio
Cruise Control
GV Build Thread

SJ Build Thread
Facebook

YouTube
SuzukiPicsUK on Instagram

Ginger_boy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Grand Vitara 4WD

Post by Ginger_boy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:18 pm

Happened to me beginning of last year during all that flooding on the Somerset level. Waded through some fairly deepish water for about 1/2 mile came out the otherside only to find the 4 wheel drive not disconnecting. Moor precisely i think its the front air locking auto hubs, they didn't release, I am wondering if mine was through lack of use.
It' a 4x4 why not drive it across a field