handbrake

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
gsommo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

handbrake

Post by gsommo » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:30 pm

I have a sj413 jx 1987 with the band brake going to a drum just off the transfer case. I know that there is a small bolt that you can turn in order to adjust the shoes etc, but for the life of me i cant budge it. What else can I do.

I did have prop off a while back but was unsure of how to get the drum off the brake. Help please.

thanks

Pugsley
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: handbrake

Post by Pugsley » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:08 pm

Hi gsommo

I've got a Sj 410 which has a similar transmission type drum brake - probably not identical though. Mark the prop shaft to ensure that you mate it back in the same place. Ensure that the handbrake is on (initially) and that the vehicle is properly chocked and VERY stable if you jack it up to go underneath. Place it in gear. When you remove the prop shaft it will reveal a centre nut - undo it (it will be very tight hence my warning about the vehicle being stable). Release the handbrake and ease the drum off to reveal the working parts (can be easier said then done but keep your cool). Although the working parts of the brake assembly are fairly basic, you may want to photograph it (digitally) before dismantling it so that you can refer to the layout arrangement. I stripped mine down to clean it all up, used brake grease on the adjuster and the contact points of the shoes to ensure ease of movement when it was assembled.

Refit the nut and prop shaft and adjust the brake - make sure it's not binding.

Hope that helps

Ian

gsommo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by gsommo » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:28 pm

thanks very much for that mate, I thought that it was that massive centre nut in the middle of the drum that I had to get off. I will get it off tomorrow if i can find a spanner large enough haha.

thanks very much for your help mate.

oh and you might also know. I have a slight wobble on one of my front wheels, but I cant tell whether or not it is just due to the 31 inch wheels making it move more than usual or what, it is hard to tell, the joint etc all looks ok, i guess I could take it apart and grease it all up, but how big a job is this??

oh and another thing (sorry), front right leafs seem to be flatter than the others, pretty wel flat but not sad face yet. is there anythnig I can do as an easy fix to try and make it a little more smiley again?

thanks in advance.

chan
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by chan » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:25 am

hi gsommo. have you got the truck on the road yet? i remember you were having a few issues with the engine.

are they standard sj wheels or are they rewelded with a bigger offset as this would cause a wobbly front wheel. if its wobblying alot on standard wheels its probably your wheel bearings and king pin bearings. quite an expensive job (about 120) for both sides) worth doing as the axle will last another 5 years or more. if you have the time that is!

hope you all is well mate