Clutch problem ?

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
rickpoland
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Clutch problem ?

Post by rickpoland » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:01 am

Hey guys and gals

Time for more tips for me in Poland.

I think I have a clutch problem but not sure. Had fun with starter motor but finally got it working great but still sometimes I can't fire her up. Get the clicking from the starter but just can't turn over the engine. It feels like there is something holding the cranks tight.

the cluth pedal feels 'heavy' to push suggesting to me that the clutch is not disengaging properly from the flywheel, I think it may be sticking which means that the engine can't be turned by the starter. Does this sound feasible ?

We can jump start her OK and when running there is a kind of hot burning smell sometimes. Also unless on a good run she seems to be running a bit hotter than normal. There is plenty of oil, the coolant level is fine and I checked the gearbox and the oil level seems OK.

Any thoughts on my suspicions or other ideas as to what may be holding the engine from turning over ?

And if it is a clutch problem is there any easy way (i.e not taking the gearbox out) to check and make some sort of adjustments ?

As always love the help and interesting replies

Thanks
RICK
Still just standard SJ413 but love it just the same ! ! !

rickpoland
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: Clutch problem ?

Post by rickpoland » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:05 am

Also just to let you know, apart from running a bit hot and sometimes the burning smell, she seems to run ok and no problems with changing gears

RICK

rickpoland
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by rickpoland » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:39 am

Also - should you be able to turn the engine by hand with the fan belt ? We can't which may suggest something else.

Awaiting replies with anticipation :shock:

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:53 pm

sounds like it could be a problem with the clutch or release bearing by the sound of things? could just be a sticky starter motor with the clicking starter though. It's always pretty hard to turn the engine using the fan! get a socket on the crank pulley bolt, that's the easiest way to turn the engine over by hand.
It's a pretty easy job to drop the gearbox out, my dad and i can change a clutch on a ramp in under an hour and i doubt it'll take mch longer on the floor.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:37 pm

Same symptoms as mine...

Clutch cable was full of mud