Sami is idling fast

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
jerseyben
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Sami is idling fast

Post by jerseyben » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:18 pm

Hello everyone,

After stripping my sami head for about the 5th time it is all back together and running. and hopefully it will stay running,

at the moment i am having Idle problems. when i start it it needs about half throttle and is a bit lumpy. ( this is hopefully a timing issue and just needs some fine tweaking ).

when it stops spluttering after about 2 seconds the revs start racing up and are quite high. i would tell you how high but my rev counter has decided to pack in but weirdly when i turn the ignition off it starts showing the revs until it stops. ( getting off track ). I have tried turning the idle screw whilst it is running and it didn't seem to do much / anything at all. I tried turning it off and then starting again but still moving the screw didn't change the idle.

Could anyone help me with any more steps to slow this idle down.

Thanks,

Ben.

rgonzobull
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Sami is idling fast

Post by rgonzobull » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:19 pm

Have you checked your choke?
LJ80Q

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:31 pm

What carb are you running? If standard could it be something to do with the idle up system? Try disconnecting it, usually a green or brown plug, one is the fuel stop solenoid and the other is the idle up but sometimes the colours are the opposite way around just to confuse matters lol
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

jerseyben
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by jerseyben » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:16 pm

ScottieJ wrote:What carb are you running? If standard could it be something to do with the idle up system? Try disconnecting it, usually a green or brown plug, one is the fuel stop solenoid and the other is the idle up but sometimes the colours are the opposite way around just to confuse matters lol
im running standard, okay do you know where about this plug is located, ill give it a try tomorrow, thanks for the tip.

i was just thinking may it have something to do with the choke as when it starts it needs some peddle. and before i did the head rebuild it didn't need any. ?

jerseyben
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by jerseyben » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:36 pm

Hello everyone looks like having a bit of trouble with hacking but i am going to brave it and post an update.

i took my sami for a good run today to see if it was just automatic choke making it idle high. after a good run it was still idleing very high.

i also noticed that when i ran it with no throttle it ran smoothly and just pulled itself along. if i was to give it any throttle it would start spluttering. i then ran with full throttle and it revved fine and power was there but still when let of the clutch it would not return to a low idle.

i am thinking this may be a choke issue as it splutters when throttle is used but is fine when throttle is fully open.

any ideas if it could be anything els...

I thought i could be the timing so i moved the dizzy slightly to the right and it slowed the idel nicely but then after a couple of seconds it didnt run right and started backfireing through the carb.

any ideas would be helpful, Thanks.

Ben

rgonzobull
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by rgonzobull » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:28 am

I would run the engine for a bit so its warm (not hot) then disconnect the choke mech, make sure its in the open position and then take it for a run. If all seems fine then it would point to the choke. Thats just what i would try
LJ80Q

jerseyben
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by jerseyben » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:23 am

Update-------------

went and had a look at the carb. tried looking through the online manual to get an idea of what does what, it is a bit confusing but got the gist of how the choke works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPJsoCrP ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a video of it idling and then when i move the choke valve by about 2m it lowers the idle nicely.

is there a way of adjusting anything to do this. i have tried the idle screw but didnt do anything.

rgonzobull
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by rgonzobull » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:45 am

I'm not to well up on these carbs but a few of the members who are will no doubt have a common/easy solution to the problem. Hope youve found the cause and get it sorted soon pal
LJ80Q

jerseyben
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by jerseyben » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:03 pm

Another Update...

I held the Rack Gear down on the carb with a spanner and this bought the idle down to a reasonable level and doesnt seem to have effected the mixture to make it run differently which is good. i am not too sure what it does mind you.

i noticed there was a small adjusting bolt which i adjusted all the way in to hold the rack gear in the desired position. took it for a spin and all seemed fine. bit slugish to return to idle but i remember mine being like that when it was running before.

a friend of mine had a manual choke conversion kit so i may eventually change to that but for now i am happy :)

Next job is to find out why non of my back right light wiring is working ...

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:35 pm

I'm fairly sure you said you were running the standard carb. If so remove and bin! Usually its the auto choke it just stops working.

Theres a few bolt on straight swaps off older daihatsu's, subaru's and hyundai's. They are almost identical carbs and run fine, but as we are all aware the suzuki carb is surrounded with pipes and bits that we don't know if we need. As are those replacements. And in my experience they don't really like water.

I swapped to a SU Hif 44 2 years ago and have had no issues with it. I bought a 90 degree elbow conversion and opened up the two holes in the manifold to one. The elbow i bought didnt have a water jacket to prevent carb icing so i just got sum 8mm (i think) bore rubber pipe and ran it from the auto choke water feed on the engine round the elbow and back to the rtn. Works a treat.

SU's also solve the issue of fuel starvation on steep hills. Alot of people swap the springs and needles over on the SU to suit the SJ, I'm faily sure Scottie has put a post up for this. mine came off a maestro and is as it was the day i bought it.

Regards
Jordi
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank