converion plates

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
bantam23sj410
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

converion plates

Post by bantam23sj410 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:08 pm

where could i source a conversion plate for a vitara engine to fit my 410 gearbox??
as a mate of mine has sorted the oil burning problem out i fancy using the 1600 lump rather than the ford lump i have unless theres a plate available for that ??
any help greatly appreciated

thanx
bantam

ps will get pics on soon as possible but be patient progress is a slow process
pull it back and clean it properly !!!!!

Kirkynut
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: converion plates

Post by Kirkynut » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:28 am

I have thought of this converstion for our 410 too but i don't think that there is a converstion plate for the 410 as most SJ's tend to be 413's.

All is not lost though. I think you can just bolt in a 413 gearbox and use a converstion kit such as that from Rob Storr - http://www.worcester-technologies.com/r ... engine.htm and still use the 410 transfer box with the lower gearing as many people do. The props should all bolt straight up and you'll be laughing.

An old carb'd 8v Vitara engine would be the easiest swop due to the electrics associated with the 16v fuel injection. Having said that, the fuel injection would be a massive plus point if you can be bothered to sort it our and solves all the problems with the carb at angles etc... Also it gives turn key reliability and if you buy a rusty olf donor Vitara cheaply, your laughing!!!

Hope this helps. If I don't solve some of our 410 engine woes in the next few months, I might do it myself. trying to stop spending money on it though, so unlikely.

Kirkynut

bantam23sj410
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by bantam23sj410 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:51 am

i wonder if the bell housing on the 410 and the 413 are the same they cant be that different surely
i was lucky with vitara i bought i watched it change hands between my mates for 6 months it went from 700 quid to 5 to 3 and i bagged it for ha ha 130 bucks dont get me wrong its a bit rough but well worth the money for the parts i want to use if it comes to it ill c if my boss could make a plate for a 410 box but first i need to find out if there the same bell housing as the 413 il get back to you on that one

thanx
bantam
pull it back and clean it properly !!!!!

bourneyo
The Boss
The Boss

Post by bourneyo » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:02 am

The bell housing on the 410 and 413 boxes are the different! If you did go down the route of putting in the 413 box you may need to do minor adjustments to the transmission tunnel with a FBH.

Dan 8-)
http://www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk the new home for your suzuki sj

Kirkynut
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Kirkynut » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:44 am

I thought they were different from other people saying so in the past on the old site but had a little hope when I read your first reply. Thanks for confirming it though Bourneyo.

It would be nice to be able to have a conversion plate made up or even a cardboard template to be able to make one out of some plate. It's getting the pattern right that's the tricky and time consuming bit. Obviously it's got to be spot on for the clutch to line up.

I think the 410 got lef out by the usual manufacturers of such items as most people have 413's. Also, the 410's half shafts are smaller in diameter and thus weaker and the 1.6 will be putting farmore power and torque through them, making them a weak point. So perhaps it's not that good an idea. Unless someone tries though, we'll never know.

Kirkynut

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:16 pm

It's a bit more complicated to fit a 1.6 into a 410 than a 413 0r sammy i'm afraid.

You will need
*1.6 engine
* engine/gearbox adapter plate
*1300 gearbox
*1300 flywheel
*1300 sump
*1300 oil pick up
*1300 clutch
*1300 exhaust
*1300 clutch cable bracket
*different temp sender & gauge
*you need to weld new engine mounts to one side of the chassis as they are in a different place on a 410 than a 413 0r sammy

Threre might be a few others things but i think that is prety much it!
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!