a frames towing

Not covered by any of categories below, want a winch or need to buy some recovery gear then your question goes in here!

You will also find online parts catalogues, Service manuals and a other useful info here.
kale
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

a frames towing

Post by kale » Sat May 12, 2012 10:23 pm

what s the thoughts on a frame towing any pictures designs etc :weld:

turbo-tom
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Re: a frames towing

Post by turbo-tom » Sat May 12, 2012 10:33 pm

kale wrote:what s the thoughts on a frame towing any pictures designs etc :weld:

i used one but the trouble is if you rip and axle off at pay and play etc how do you get back the aa wont touch you because you might not be moted and taxed?

when i used it aswell the old plod were fine never got pulled over but if you do use one you need a big suitible car ie not your averrage hatchback because of the weight etc as many a frames are not braked and as the law says anything over 750kg needs to be braked

my mate dean had his sj not road legal no reg plates etc and a framed his sj had no problems with the bill

but good thing about a frames there alot smaller then a trailer and easier to stoor away but like everything it has good and bad points...
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

trotter
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by trotter » Sat May 12, 2012 10:42 pm

yea technically there only supposed to be used to move a broken down vehicle to a safe place to wait for assistance because :-

1. it weighs over 750kg and isn't independently braked
2. it doesn't steer the towed vehicle, it relies on the steering lock being off and the front wheels to follow (by themselves) the cornerline of the towing vehicle

also be aware that you may not be covered on your licence to tow depending on your age and driving qualifications

personally i wouldn't do it but then my truck is usually road legal so I've no need to A-frame
Last edited by trotter on Sat May 12, 2012 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
if in doubt, FLAT OUT!

mans tool kit > duct tape, wd40 and a bfh is all you ever need

Highlander
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Highlander » Sat May 12, 2012 10:48 pm

Its illegal :lol:

For you to tow a car legally on an A-frame the following conditions must be met :

1) Towed car must be fully road legal, eg. MOT'd, Taxed, insured, legal tyres etc.

2) The combined weight of the a frame and the cars MAM (the maximum load it is permitted to carry, not its actual weight) must be no more than 750Kg

I think only the French made Aixam qualifies on the above weight restriction.

3) The brakes on the towed car must be connected to the A-frame so they operate during braking

4) The car being towed MUST be broken down and the A-frame only used to recover it to the nearest place of safety..

Thats the official line on it, if you use them then you are leaving yourself open to prosecution.

BUT

I've used them for years for towing Samurais to offorad events, picking up and dropping of cars 4x4's and even large vans and never had a problem despite having been stopped by the police and VOSA on many occasions. :lol: