Ignition barrel Strip down

Got an electrical gremlin? Ask the question here.
Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Ignition barrel Strip down

Post by Tramp » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:55 pm

I recently got some bits from a suzuki that had been broken, (jay on here) He gave me an ignition barrel it needs a new wire soldering on to a terminal so I thought I would strip it down and we could all have a look inside and see how it works,

this is the ignition
I think its from a jap sammy (im sure my original spanish one had white plastic around it?)

Remove the plate from the base (where the steering lock pin is) to access x2 screws

Remove the x2 screws

the barrel assembly should come free of the casting now

Watch for the spring and washer that will come free when the barrel is removed

the barrel should come out, my electrical switch fell out when i pulled the barrel out of the casing

the switch looks like this
it only fits in with the barrel 'key' one way

there are 3 legs on the black plastic which release from the mustard plastic section leaving you two sections,
the first is the switch contacts section

and the second section is were the cables terminate, you can see I'm missing a cable I should easily be able to solder a new cable onto this

When you separate the switch halves chances are the spring loaded terminal will fall out, luckily its easy to re-assemble

I imagine if your ignition is temperamental it will be these contacts that need attention

once your happy with the contact tips you can reassemble, clip the halves of the switch back together make sure the tips in the grey section are fitted properly.

To get the cross to line up with the keyed section of barrel you need to put the small middle cross leg towards the large plastic clip on the casing like this

to fit the switch back onto the bottom of the barrel you need to remove the key so the steering lock pin extends, you can then slide the switch down its grooves to its final position

You can then slide the barrel back into the casing

Put the spring and washer back in

Push the barrel 'home' and secure with the screws in the bottom

Remember to fit the plate with its stardrive countersunk screws. Then we are done it should be good as new

P.s. Darrel, Id appreciate it if you could post a wiring diagram to match the igniton (if you have one?) Thanks

Darrell

Re: Ignition barrel Strip down

Post by Darrell » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:45 pm

My wiring diagrams don't match the wire colours I'm afraid :er:
Attachments
Supply.jpg
Supply.jpg (65.73 KiB) Viewed 5998 times
ign sw.JPG
ign sw.JPG (15.54 KiB) Viewed 5998 times
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:49 pm

That's fine darrell, ill continuity test it and write the colours down..... well I will for connections that have coloured wires!

Ricky-410
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Ricky-410 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:36 pm

My key is worn to the point it falls out, do you reckon they'll be able to cut another that will stay in or will the barrel be knackered as well?

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:02 pm

I cant say for certain but I imagine both the key and the tumblers will be worn. If you want to give it a shot it might be an easy alternative to changing the ignition, you will need a good key to copy from though, if you use your key as the template it will just cut a brand new 'worn' key which won't be any better than the original, Do you have the key number? it should be wrote down in the suzuki handbook if you have one?

Ricky-410
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Ricky-410 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:58 pm

I don't, its not the original barrel because the one that was in it was solid. If it becomes a problem when out driving I'll get a set of locks and a barrel because the locks don't match the key now obviously.