SJ virgin re-build started !!!!

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
madfishpaul
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

SJ virgin re-build started !!!!

Post by madfishpaul » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:22 pm

Hi,

MOT ran out yesterday, so have decided to take my Sami off the road for a re-build.

I've been messing around with Minis for years, but have decided to move my attention over to the the Sami I bought last year.

Starting by stripping off the hard top and window assembly this afternoon, will be getting stuck into the serious business over the Easter weekend...

So, total 4x4 and SJ virgin, I'm sure I'll be asking loads of questions over the next few months (possibly years).

Upper body work is pretty good, as are the doors, not to sure how bad the floor is going to be, arches look knackered.

Planning to strip her right back to the chassis and see what we have to play with. I'd like to soften the suspension a bit as it is mainly used on road with some beach and green lane work; go for a 1.6 vit engine; think I'll need re-conditioned or new drive chain etc.

Should be fun, half the enjoyment is doing the work ;)

Gonna need to learn how to weld !!! :weld:

Wish me luck :guns:
Attachments
20130319_164556.jpg
20130319_164556.jpg (1.89 MiB) Viewed 3778 times
If in doubt, get a bigger hammer...

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Re: SJ virgin re-build started !!!!

Post by dan_2k_uk » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:40 am

Just dive right in. So easy to work on. Start by jabbing a screw driver through any suspect areas on the floor pan especially behind the rear seats, where the front floor meets the bulkhead and whip the fuel filler cover off and poke all around the rear door.

With regards to the rotten arches have a look at my and a few other build threads on here with virtual lifts for ideas. Gets the arches fixed and you gain some room for some slightly bigger tyres.

Enjoy! :D
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

HuwJones
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: SJ virgin re-build started !!!!

Post by HuwJones » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:35 am

I am on the same boat as you. I'm 18, with little experience of maintaining cars. When i bought my SJ 410 it needed a new fuel tank, brake and fuel lines, welding the arch on drivers side, fixing some electrical gremlins in the headlight system and a new clutch.
Even though i had NO experience doing these things on a car i managed to do it myself with advice from guys on here and got a mate from work (ex-MOT technician) to check out what i did.
If in doubt, put down the sledge hammer and just ask! Best tictac there is.

Huw Jones
There's three ways of doing things,
1) The Right Way,
2) The Wrong Way
3) My Way.
2 & 3 are usually the same.