New Owner with small problem

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
rickpoland
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

New Owner with small problem

Post by rickpoland » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:14 am

Hi

I am at last a samurai owner (SJ413) loving in Poland but from the UK. Love the car and expect to have a lot of fun, but first have a little problem we need some advice on.

When we bought the car it was pulling to the left when driving and to the right when braking. Had some guys fit new leaf springs at the front and seems to have cured the 'pulling left' problem but still pulling to the right when braking. Also front left wheel is getting warm when driving. I guess there is maybe something binding in the brakes somewhere and plan to remove/inspect/clean the front brake mechanisms.

So.....

Does anyone else have experience of a similar problem and any advice on what may be causing the problem ? Any advice greatly welcomed.

Looking forward to your replies and becoming active myself on the forums

Rick in Poland
Still just standard SJ413 but love it just the same ! ! !

carnut
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Re: New Owner with small problem

Post by carnut » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:30 pm

hi,, if you have a brake proplem,, first thing, are you ok doing the work!!. sorry i have to ask, becuase ive seen a few disasters with people playing with brakes.. it sounds like the left caliper is partly seized..thats why the left is hot (brake sticking on) and pulls to the right,(thats the one doing the braking..you may be able to get a repair kit?, but i would advise new.. andy

rickpoland
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by rickpoland » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:02 pm

Thanks Andy

Apart from the language barrier here in Poland, finding Samurai fans/helpers is also not so easy but my partner spoke to someone who does Samurai service here and he said something similar (about seized brake parts but not specific as to which) and that if we can take it off and send to him then he can recondition/restore it.

Anyway got it back from the garage after the Leaf Spring work today so I can at least get my hands dirty under there and have a good place to start looking so thanks for your advice. If it looks really bad I'll try to find new (may be cheaper than sending it to the other side of Poland for an unspecified priced restoration ! ! !)

Cheers - you may be my first Samurai superhero !

Rick

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:26 pm

Hi and welcome.

Sj calipers are dead easy to work on.

There are 2 bolts holding it onto the hanger. Undo these and lift the calliper off. Now, get someone to hold the calliper, and then go and apply the brake pedal. this should push that piston out. I wouldn't push it all the way out, but just so it is just in.

Then you should inspect the piston. it should be shiny and not rusted! if it is a little grubby, get the finest emry cloth you can and give it a very fine dusting.

Now get a G clamp and push it back in, and the out back in ect untill it frees up!

If you need seals, they are available from Brake parts international for £11.

Henry

dominic
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by dominic » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:24 pm

Hiya Rick,

Welcome to the club.

Yes , it sounds like Caliper problem, easy to overhaul them.

Where abouts are you in Poland ?
I was in Poznan and Gniezno last year, nice place to visit.

Dom

8-)
Currently Drive
SJ 410 Q 1985 (GREEN)
VITARA GL+ 2017 (SILVER)

Did have a IGNIS SZ5 4X4 2017 (BLACK)
Did have a GRAND VITARA 2.0 TD 2002 (GREEN)
Did have a JIMNY JLX 2001 (RED)
Did have a SJ 413V 1987 (SILVER)
Did have a BMW320i 1984 (PETROL BLUE)

rickpoland
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by rickpoland » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:25 am

Hey Dom/Henry :lol:

Thanks for the replies. Used to work the calipers (remember how they were now) on my first car - a knackered old Mini - so pretty happy to whip them out and have a look and see if I can get an overhaul kit somewhere in Poland. Like the idea to push the pistons in/out repeatedly Henry thx a lot

Down in SW Poland about 70km from Wrocław - yeah really like the place a lot and the people are amazing. Reminds me a bit of the UK when I was a kid before it became a rat race and I decided to leave.

Loving the club already and really appreciate the replies - reminds me that there are still some great people in the UK and not just the plebs I used to work with. Thanks a lot guys

Rick

carnut
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by carnut » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:11 pm

rick,, out off intrest what do you do over there!!. andy

rickpoland
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by rickpoland » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:27 pm

Hey guys

Just got under the Zuk and looks like you guys were spot on with the caliper solution. Not only is the piston a bit rusty but all the seals etc are completely f@cked.

Tried your pumping the brakes solution Henry and it takes so much pumping to even move the piston I've decided to take the caliper off and restore it myself (forgot just how simple brake calipers are !). Just hope I can get hold of the seals somewhere in Poland.

So many thanks for the help guys - will take some pics of the cali now so you can see how f@cked it is.

Andy - see my reply to you poland question on my VIN query as some other guys was asking similar

Cheers for now and if ever I'm back in the UK and somewhere where you guys live I owe you a beer :lol:

Rick

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:02 pm

If you can't find service kits in poland try http://www.brakesint.co.uk/ if they can't send them to poland then i'm sure one of us guys could order them and then forward them on to you!

Scott
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!