New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
lesward
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by lesward » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:04 pm

hi all im les from southampton just laid my hands on a lwb sj with factory powersteering and factory aircon gonna need work as parts missing like ignition barrel and door locks got to find some
will be using it as a daily and play thing fitting 24spline disco axles soon as the mounts turn up

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: newbie

Post by Jordi » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:16 pm

Welcome to the club.

Disco axles are a sin! Any particular reason for fitting them?
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by ROBBIE » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:17 pm

Hi :welcome: sounds good, but why disco axles?
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

lesward
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by lesward » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:39 pm

friend runs them and another runs toyota axles disco cheaper to get and repair plus coils give alot more flex and i got the axles free

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:18 pm

:welcome: to :suzuki: club uk would love to see some pics of the Lwb, they are pretty rare in the uk now.

Personally I wouldn't advise putting landrover axles under an SJ as the stock gear ratios available aren't any good for big tyres unless you spend loads on aftermarket R&Ps, also unless you are going to be running 34"+ tyres there's no real benefits as you end up sitting in the ruts and loose ground clearance because of the wider track bigger diffs. The narrower track and smaller diffs of SJ axles are a real benifit in ruts.

If you must swap axles I would advise yota axles but again you loose ground clearance.

No harm in coiling it though as long as it's done properly to a high standard and put in for an IVA test, if it's not IVA'd it's not technically legal and you could run into issues further down the line as they are trying to get MOT testers to report major suspension modifications etc.

There are other bolt on options to improve ride and flex without cutting up a rare Lwb though like YJ springs for example.
image.jpg
image.jpg (298.92 KiB) Viewed 6414 times
Here's my swb with Sj axles on YJs with a full float rear conversion and chromo front shafts and Cvs. Strong enough for 35" tyres, no loss of ground clearance, less added weight and no worries about ever breaking them :thumbup:

At the end of the day it's your vehicle though so go whatever way you choose, just thought I'd throw some alternative options out there.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by ferris » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:28 pm

:welcome: to the club. Got any pics of your SJ?
86 SJ413 tin top, 1.6 8v, SU carb, YJ spring conversion, virtual lift, 33x12.5x15 KL71's, rocklobster, rear discs, power steering.

lesward
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by lesward » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:29 pm

will take pics of the shed tomorrow and post up doing a ebay search at mo for bits
nice rig scottiej i,ll get the coil conversion done by someone then iva as cant weld can rebuild eng,s and g/boxes no prob just cant weld for toffee lol

lesward
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by lesward » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:30 pm

whats a full float rear conversion???

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:29 am

Thanks :thumbup: it's been a labour of love for quite a few years now :lol: I'm actually buildings Lwb myself at the moment as well to a similar spec.

You'll find that Lwb SJs ride a lot better than swb ones anyway just because of the longer wheelbase.

What size tyres are you planning on running? I would have a look through some of the builds on here before diving straight in with a coil conversion to be honest, you can build a really capable and light Sj staying with Suzuki parts, in fact there's not many SJs on here that run other axles, as said in my previous reply I think there's actually more negatives than benifits if you aren't going past 34-35" tyres. I've made it through mud runs on 33s that my mates in Landrovers on 35s haven't made it through just because SJs don't fit in the ruts properly and have the same ground clearance on smaller tyres :twisted:

A full float conversion is where you convert the rear axle to run front stub axles, hubs and disc brakes then run a floating halfshaft, similar to a landrover rear axle instead of the semi float like SJs and hilux rear axles. It's a much stronger set up than the original rear axle, means you have the same bearings and brakes all round and also makes swapping diffs a lot easier. Not that you need to very often on SJs as the diffs are strong little units, I'd happily run 35s on a full float rear axle and not worry about breakages.
image.jpg
image.jpg (143.3 KiB) Viewed 6363 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (137.11 KiB) Viewed 6363 times
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

lesward
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by lesward » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:24 pm

nice work im thinking 33,s on sj like special trac,s will sj axles handle real aggressive pattern?