towing with a 1.9 td vitara

All tech relating to the Suzuki Vitara that won't relate to any other models, Front IFS etc.
Famerbennie
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

towing with a 1.9 td vitara

Post by Famerbennie » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:14 pm

Hi all, thinking of getting a 1.9td vitara do you with it would be alright towing a car trailer with sj on and a horse trailer?

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: towing with a 1.9 td vitara

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:17 pm

Which model vitara? an old 1.9tdi or a newer GV?

Do you have a B+E license?

If not then it will be hard to get the weights correct to tow a trailer with an SJ on, The trailer and load cannot weigh more than the vehicle doing the towing and the combined weight must not be more than 3500kg to stay legal.

Would probably be fine towing a horsebox though.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Famerbennie
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Famerbennie » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:19 pm

an old square shape

and yea i'd be doing my trailer test

was just wondering if it would be alright towing it all?

Famerbennie
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Famerbennie » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:22 pm

this shape
this shape
vitara.jpg (78.66 KiB) Viewed 8511 times

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:29 pm

Apparently the weights for that shape are

450kg unbraked
1500kg braked

That's going to be very close if it's a modified sj being towed and would depend on the trailer weight.

Personally I think you would be better off with a GV.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by d_r_1989 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:22 pm

And they can hardly pull them selves. Be better with a grand vitara.

RickUK
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow
Location: Not sure me Tom Tom is bust,but it could be North of Watford Gap.Could be Bedfordshire though.

Post by RickUK » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:43 pm

They are under-powered,and also being a SWB Vitara you could end up with the 'tail wagging the dog' problem for sure.

Not a very good tug me thinks,a long wheel base one would be better i guess.
Deceased.
SJ413 tinwormed to the great car grave yard in the sky.
Vitara LWB V6 engine deceased and also in the great grave yard in the sky.
www.hideones.info www.hideones.info
Current wheels.
BMW X5 Le Mans 3.0turbo diesel.
Looking for a newish Suzuki Jimny.

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:47 pm

Yes I believe the LWB/commercial model has a slightly higher towing weight... but they are few and far between these days
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

Anton
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:31 pm

ScottieJ wrote:Apparently the weights for that shape are

450kg unbraked
1500kg braked

That's going to be very close if it's a modified sj being towed and would depend on the trailer weight.

Personally I think you would be better off with a GV.
Bear in mind that this is the plated weight of the trailer, not the actual weight of the trailer. An empty trailer weighing 200kg which is plated for a maximum of 1600kg would be illegal to tow, even empty. Doesn't matter that it's perfectly safe.

And if the manufacturer's max tow weight is more than the manufacturer's unlaiden kerbweight of the vehicle, then ignore the manufacturer's max tow weight if your licence isn't pre-1997. The unlaiden weight is the max unless the vehicle's manufacturer states the max tow weight is less than the unlaiden weight - it's the lower of those two that matters.

Mike told me he knows a guy who got done for pulling an empty horsebox with an Astra. The empty horsebox was perfectly safe to tow, but the law says that it's the plated MAXIMUM of the trailer and the plated UNLAIDEN weight of the tow vehicle that matters (although you're gonna get done if you load more than the max plated weight into the trailer too). Because the plated max of the horsebox was higher than the unlaiden weight of the tow vehicle, he was prosecuted.

So you cannot tow a trailer who's plated maximum exceeds the vehicle's unlaiden mass unless you have a pre-97 licence. Even with a B+E. A B+E licence ups your max gross trainweight with a braked trailer from 3500kg to 7000kg.

Weirdly, with an unbraked trailer your max is 3500kg for vehicle (max laiden weight this time, NOT unlaiden weight) and 750kg plated maximum for trailer, meaning an unbraked trailer of 750kg makes for a limit of 4250kg. So in theory a vehicle with a max weight of 3500kg cannot tow a 750kg braked trailer, only a 750kg or less unbraked trailer. And you can't take brakes off a braked trailer (even a sub-750kg one) to make it an unbraked trailer. If it has brakes, it's a braked trailer legally, no matter what you do to it - taking the brakes off makes it a defective and illegal braked trailer, not an unbraked trailer.

With a pre-97 licence your max gross trainweight is 8250kg in any combination you want, so a pre-97 licence holder can tow a 6000kg plated trailer with a 2000kg plated max tow vehicle perfectly legally, as long as the tow vehicle's manufacturer's spec isn't exceeded.

If that sounds complicated and stupid, it is. But if you assume that people who tow things are stupid, it *kinda* makes sense (post 97 does, at least).

With all that in mind, I have to ask what the plated weight of the trailer is - because that's going to determine what tow vehicle makes sense.

For referance:

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/driv ... ou-can-tow
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:46 pm

Theres a large difference between what you can legally tow and what you can physically tow.... my tow rig coming to Malta from the UK was quite a bit over 650kg i think!
It was bordering on unsafe towing it down the big mountain hills, braking very carefully. If I'd have got pulled I think the coppers would have had a fit.
Fortunately I only got spoken to by Italian police and they are not bothered about such petty rules and regulations ;)
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."