Alternative carbs to the SU HIF44

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
Brrok_lands
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Alternative carbs to the SU HIF44

Post by Brrok_lands » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:39 pm

Coming to the end of a refurb of a standard Samurai which has the original carb which seems to be the most unnecessarily complicated and complex piece of kit ever created. The engine is now running (just) rougher than a rough thing, even though it was running ok when I first got it.

Compression is good, fuel is fresh and although I've had a problem with a faulty (new) plug I coming round to the conclusion that it's probably a fueling problem.

I know the SU HIF44 is the favoured replacement choice but what about other SU models. The HS6 is a 1.75" carb like the HIF44 and can be picked up considerably cheaper. Other than the horrible wax stat choke on the later versions (had a pair on a Dolomite Sprint I had 20 odd years ago) and the separate float chamber they are basically the same.

Is a carb change a better option (time and effort) than trying to do battle with the original carb to get it set up properly?

Brook

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Alternative carbs to the SU HIF44

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:08 am

HIF SU carbs are the best to go for tbh, the older ones with the external float bowl arnt as good in my opinion.

There's a few other options though. Weber, Nikki carbs and I've seen a subaru carb used before as well.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Brrok_lands
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Brrok_lands » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:54 am

Scottie

Thanks for the reply. Is it a fuel supply problem when off road with the external float chamber that is the problem, or are there other reasons? I could imagine that the float bobbing about on rough ground could play havoc with the needle valve that controls flow into the float chamber.

As cash it tight at the moment and I'm just wanting to get it running properly rather than looking for a performance improvement as it will probably have to be sold once it's up and running and MOT'd, I may have to do battle with current one. The Weber 32/36 should be more common but still seems to command a good price, a bit of patience on my part may turn up a bargain eventually.

Brook

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:55 pm

You could get an external float bowl carb.. But you should provably stay clear of the h carbs. They have the float bowl attached rigidly to the carb body and the fuel flows through the cast arm. The hs carbs are similar but the float bowl is removable. It has an extra seal and bolts holding it on so more to go wrong ;)
I've been told that the HD is the best of the bunch. Easily identifiable by the fuel hose connecting the float bowl to the carb. If you have a Google around the problem is often a simple one and can be resolved by adjusting the float slightly. At least with the HD carb its easy ;)
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

Brrok_lands
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Brrok_lands » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:21 pm

Just to complete this.

I have managed to get my engine running sweetly again with the original carb. Not quite sure why but a plug swop from NGK BPR5E to BCR6ES made a big improvement as well.

3VILC
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by 3VILC » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:18 am

For what its worth, my theory on why the HIF works best, the jet is directly in the middle of the float bowl, tipping the carb on an angle doesn't really have a huge effect on the level of fuel in the centre where the jet is