samurai diff pinion

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
Perry
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

samurai diff pinion

Post by Perry » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:12 pm

Hi,
I am rebuilding my Samurai rear axle and i'm stuck with how to measure the pinion torque, with no access to an inch pound dial torque wrench is there another way of measuring it? Special tools are hard to find on the Islands!

NylonAdmiral
Winching along now
Winching along now

Re: samurai diff pinion

Post by NylonAdmiral » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:42 pm

Have you read through this post?

http://forum.suzukiclubuk.co.uk/vi ... =12&t=3349

It has some information you'll probably find useful when doing that job. You may have a bit of difficulty with out a torque wrench though.
1.6 16v, Rock Lobster, PAS, Muddyzook rear disc conversion, coated in Raptor, 33in x 10.5, heated seats, lovingly restored by Scottie!

Perry
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Perry » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:52 pm

Thanks, very interesting and no doubt useful. I can not get a torque wrench with inch llbs anywhere though, I have seen somewhere, somebody measuring it with fishing type scales but can't remember where and do not know what the measurement would have to be.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:45 pm

Can't you just convert the inch/lbs to which ever unit your torque wrench measures.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Perry
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Perry » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:02 am

The only torque wrench available is ft/lbs so too high.

NylonAdmiral
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by NylonAdmiral » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:27 am

I'm pretty sure (although could easily have imagined it), that one of the suzuki manuals actually suggest using a similar scale for checking the resistance of kingpin bearings.

It is possible to do with device similar to fishing scales but I honestly wouldn't trust it for applications where you need to be really accurate. Firstly, You need a pretty big one to be able to exert any reasonable force against, and secondly it's not very easy to do accurately as you need to be able to apply a smooth and consistent load with your hand.

I think what you're talking about is something similar to this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Bicycle ... ans-scale/

Like I say, I wouldn't recommend it but if you're stuck on a tool-less island in the middle of the ocean then I guess you've got to make do with what you've got!
1.6 16v, Rock Lobster, PAS, Muddyzook rear disc conversion, coated in Raptor, 33in x 10.5, heated seats, lovingly restored by Scottie!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:35 am

Jordi wrote:Can't you just convert the inch/lbs to which ever unit your torque wrench measures.
Most torque wrenches don't go down low enough. I have used a torque screwdriver before, with adapters stepped up to a socket so i can use it.

Look at attachments/Pages 4 and 5 in the linked thread, It shows you how to use a spring scale and gives you the starting torque measurements in KG, the 'special tool' is pretty much just a pulley that is slightly bigger than the pinion flange bolted to the pinion flange and a bit of string, it's not hard to make your own.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Perry
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Perry » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:16 pm

Thanks All, I have done it at last (pinion fitted) I just have to find new diff bearings now - oh the joy of living on this Island.