Transfer box gear lever shake

Not covered by any of categories below, want a winch or need to buy some recovery gear then your question goes in here!

You will also find online parts catalogues, Service manuals and a other useful info here.
Eltoon
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Transfer box gear lever shake

Post by Eltoon » Sun May 08, 2016 3:00 pm

Hi. SJ413 Santana: When traveling at speed, that is, about 60 mph, the transfer box gear lever shakes around like crazy, is that normal or a sign of a problem? Tia!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: Transfer box gear lever shake

Post by Jordi » Sun May 08, 2016 3:25 pm

Is it the lever or the whole box?

The rubber mounts might have broke, have a look underneath and try to give the transfer box a shake. Easy and reasonably cheap fix. Llama 4x4 do replacement mounts if required.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Sun May 08, 2016 6:15 pm

Either that or if the mounts are OK, the plastic shifter sheet/boot underneath the stick might be knackered.
Again pretty easy and cheap to replace, you should be able to get a kit from suzuki with the springs, boot, and some ball bearings for about £10?
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

Eltoon
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Eltoon » Sun May 08, 2016 7:17 pm

Ta for the advice, will have an investigate!

Anton
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Sun May 08, 2016 8:38 pm

Are you certain you're in 2wd? After a violent hillstart in the south downs, mine popped out of 2wd into 4wd hi and the lever shook like mad - I thought I'd blown my t-case mounts, but checked it was in 2wd - it wasn't - and when I put it back into 2wd, the shake went away.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map