Vitara values

Anything Suzuki related, but not technical, it goes here!
Ade316
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Vitara values

Post by Ade316 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:57 pm

Hi I just sold a 1991 SWB Mk1 Vitara JLX Hardtop with 1400 miles on the clock for £6500. There was also recently a soft top on eBay with 24000 miles advertised at £6495. It's not for sale anymore and I don't know if it fetched its asking price http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262705779299. I wonder if this is a sign that mk 1 Vitara values are rising? Anyone else seen any signs of this?

I suppose there are fewer and fewer good condition Vitaras available so it stands to reason.

Cheers
Ade
1993 SWB Superior White Mk1 Vitara JLX Hardtop Auto 15000 miles
1994 SWB Superior White MK1 Vitara JX Softtop 88000 miles

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Vitara values

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:44 am

TBH I'm quite surprised that yours fetched as much as it did and i think you were lucky to find a buyer at the price it was in such a niche market. Not even mint Lj80's and Sjs are fetching that sort of money and they are older, rarer and imo more desirable models than the Vitara.

99% of people in the UK just don't seem to think suzukis are desirable classics and well a car is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay. It's the same with swift gtis, they are an amazing little car and very rare now yet the value is staying quite low.

Everywhere else in the world they are but in the UK the value doesn't seem to be rising and tbh I can see that as both a good and a bad thing.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

SZ5
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by SZ5 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:20 am

The 'classic' car market has not been this strong for a long time. Added to that are all the TV programmes about classics or doing up old cars, even the use of them as props in current programmes. Another factor might be the old ones are a bit more user fixable and in some cases road tax free or even MOT free :shock:

SZ5
Just washed, not a leak from the engine!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:14 pm

SZ5 wrote:The 'classic' car market has not been this strong for a long time. Added to that are all the TV programmes about classics or doing up old cars, even the use of them as props in current programmes. Another factor might be the old ones are a bit more user fixable and in some cases road tax free or even MOT free :shock:

SZ5
Yes and no, it all depends on the make and model really, look at all the old air cooled VWs, the Type 2, 4 and 25 etc. are all shooting up in value while beetles are still cheap unless it's a really early one.

Suzuki's seem to be one of those makes that just doesn't climb in value compared to a lot of other 4x4s in the UK.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

SZ5
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by SZ5 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:19 pm

Aye agreed, the Series Land Rovers - many a wreck seems to be going for high prices. I also had in mind the likes of chrome bumper MG's and some of the Triumph sports jobs. :hmm:

greenlight
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by greenlight » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:45 pm

Evening all. Well, I am the new member who has just bought Adrian's 1991 Vitara. And I'm delighted with it. With a fellow classic car nut, I drove it down from Glasgow to Devon and it didn't miss a beat all the way. You will be hearing more from me! Larry

SZ5
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by SZ5 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:55 pm

:welcome: Good one, do keep us up to date, photos always good to see. I'll just have a guess here that yours will be kept as clean as mine and not Green Lane'd and muddy?

Ade316
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Ade316 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:55 pm

Hi Larry welcome to the forum!! There is a post relevant to your new car at http://forum.suzukiclubuk.co.uk/vi ... 22&t=11560 that shows my original intentions for the car and the advice from other forum members that I took on board.

I got my other hardtop back on the road on Tuesday and took it to the body shop for some wheel arch treatment. £800! Ouch. Now weighing up if I should go through with the engine/gearbox swap with the softop or sell it too in due course. I seem to go round in circles with this decision.

Hope the car is doing ok and look forward to some pictures. I will need to change my forum photo now!
1993 SWB Superior White Mk1 Vitara JLX Hardtop Auto 15000 miles
1994 SWB Superior White MK1 Vitara JX Softtop 88000 miles