Going Topless !

Anything Suzuki related, but not technical, it goes here!
craggy
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Going Topless !

Post by craggy » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:36 pm

l took advantage of the hot weather on Sunday to take the hood off and go for a spin,not literally l have to say. The only problem is the buzzing headlamp relay which l will look at next weekend. Here are some pictures l took on Sunday.
Tramp mentioned seeing some clip on covers for the SJ some time ago,but said they were very rare,well after a lot of searching,l found a supplier in America and ordered three items which came today. These are: Bikini Top(ha ha)over the cab,Windjammer,()vertical window panel behind front seats and Duster(tonneau)which clips over the rear body sides. Now the tonneau is quite a good fit but the other two need the Sport Bars as on the Samurai,to strap around.Are these available here anywhere ? The windjammer isn't wide enough to fit without the bar and would need extending to reach the body hoop. l may end up selling them on if it is not easy or possible to make use of them.
Attachments
astons at donington 2011 056.JPG
astons at donington 2011 056.JPG (477.17 KiB) Viewed 56162 times
astons at donington 2011 060.JPG
astons at donington 2011 060.JPG (489.12 KiB) Viewed 56162 times
astons at donington 2011 058.JPG
astons at donington 2011 058.JPG (489.26 KiB) Viewed 56162 times
astons at donington 2011 061.JPG
astons at donington 2011 061.JPG (483.74 KiB) Viewed 56162 times

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Going Topless !

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:24 am

:guns: Nice

I still just can't believe how tidy your sj is! :doublethumbs:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:47 pm

what an awesome SJ! I love ti when the weather is nice to take the roof off and Sj's looks so much better topless! Can we have a picture of the tonneau fitted? I have been toying with the idea of a truck cab for a while but dislike the idea of something permanent a soft top truck cab would be just what the doctors ordered!

The sports bar... Is it just the extra roll over cage that came as standard on some (other than England) market SJ's? basically just a U shape tube with some supports that sits behind the box section roll over hoop (where your curtsey light is fitted) which bolts to the floor. I know you will have heard this before but they occasionally appear on ebay

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:04 pm

Sod the usual topless pics, ive just had an accident :oops:

Lovely truck, but why does it have a sammy bonnet? :lol:

craggy
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by craggy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:44 pm

Hi Hugh and Tramp, the fitting instructions called the roll hoop a 'sports bar' shown on a Samurai which is the only model they cater for.l would say it is the standard hoop fitted for the American market and others but not for the UK Altogether,with shipping and import taxes,they have cost me £238 ! take a look at http://www.tops4less.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for more details. The tonneau is a good fit but they say you need 70 degrees when fitting to stretch the fabric and it's pouring with rain today. The next hot day we have l will fit it and take some pictures. The cab(bikini) top is on now but l am short of the roll hoop to tie it to,same with the Windjammer,does your SJ have the bar/hoop on it hugh ?
Apart from being garaged most of its life,it has also had just two caring owners as well. lf l didn't have so many other projects,l would probably pull it apart to repaint the running gear just to mint it up,but for now waxspraying and brushing will do to keep the demon rust at bay. lncidently,l recommend the Comma Wax Spray aerosols,which are hand to use and don't need warming up like Waxoyl does l will be picking up half a dozen cans in the morning.Watch out for the silicone though if you are painting!

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:07 pm

This bar ??

http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php ... 604c356abd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
roll.JPG
roll.JPG (89.63 KiB) Viewed 56085 times
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:30 am

Cheers I'm looking forward to the pics, If you havn't got the roll bar it may be worth cutting up a soft top of your own to get the bikini top and back, Or equally you could find someone with a pipe bender and see if they are willing to make you one, Or even going to monsoon and buying the bikini top that would fit with out the sports bar,

Yes Darrell I think that is the one, on the fujimi models they come with the bar, so I imagine it was standard for the Japanese market too

In the Suzuki Gold portfolio it makes a reference to this bar (in an australian article) and suggests that it was an optional extra

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:18 pm

Darrell wrote:This bar ??

http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php ... 604c356abd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^^^^ this is exactly what they are calling the sports bar in the US market, it was available in the UK as an optional extra as I know loads of SJs that have had them fitted. TBH I think it was an optional extra in most countries and not a standard item.

we just call them the factory roll bar over here.

they do pop up on ebay every so often

the purple bit of this cage is just a factory roll bar
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by ROBBIE » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:21 pm

stole this of differs
Attachments
15713_suzuki_rollbar_1.jpg
15713_suzuki_rollbar_1.jpg (34.85 KiB) Viewed 56063 times
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

craggy
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: Going Topless and Roll Bars

Post by craggy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:09 pm

Thanks for the idea Tramp. l think a modified hood,or a new one using the guide slots on each side of the original body hoop to create the Windjammer would help to keep the weather out,an alternative would be a nice chrome plated original roll bar !