Welding?

Not covered by any of categories below, want a winch or need to buy some recovery gear then your question goes in here!

You will also find online parts catalogues, Service manuals and a other useful info here.
ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Welding?

Post by ROBBIE » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:06 pm

ive got a clarke 160amp that does gas or gasles been a great little welder :D
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

Newtomud
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Newtomud » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:52 am

Thanks for the tips/advice :doublethumbs:

Newtomud
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Newtomud » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:10 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIG-MAG-gas-W ... 2a139cc245" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is this good? :er: :thumbup: :thumbdown: :thumbup: :thumbdown: :thumbup: :thumbdown: :er:

pompeybloke
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by pompeybloke » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:18 pm

Hi newtomud like you I'm also thinking about buying myself a welder and teaching myself (especially as i just payed out £180.on welding work for my mot) There is a really good forum/web site especially for people thinking about buying a welder and teaching them self's there tutorials and forum to ask questions i don't think Im allowed to post links as i am a new here also but happy send in private message or you can google it.I'm still looking through the forum trying decide what power welder will best suit my needs for all round welding on a vitara. :weld:

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:42 pm

Of course you are allowed to post links :doublethumbs:

As for the ebay welder I'm not really sure? Looks like a cheapo Chinese made one to me?
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

lazy rambler
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by lazy rambler » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:46 pm

pompeybloke wrote:There is a really good forum/web site especially for people thinking about buying a welder and teaching them self's there tutorials and forum to ask questions
I'm not sure if this is the site you mean, but I found it helpful http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/
:blackside: 2" Shackles, 31" x 10.5" Buckshot Mudders, 1.6 8V with SU :blackfront:

Now a build in progress

pompeybloke
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by pompeybloke » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:50 pm

Yeah that's the one it's got loads on there I'm sure I found a page somewhere that rated welding machines giving both good and bad points but can not find it for looking now lol

Brooem
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Brooem » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:02 pm

I bought a sip 150 mig with mini gas bottles. And it was crap.. I then had a fiddle with it and got myself a pub Co2 bottle for £15 on an exchange basis, and now I can get the pressure up on the gun end and it's brilliant for what I want.. on max I can get penetration on 4mm plate. But those little bottles from the motor factors are a complete rip off. Spend £25 on a good regulator of eBay and some pneumatic fittings from somewhere like pertek. And link the pub bottle to the sip mig's little air feed and jobs a goodun...

With the Sip 170A they have detachable guns which is always a bonus. In case the inevitable happens and you reverse over the gun :thumbdown:

Id pay the extra and get at least the 170a... :doublethumbs:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... 2854790809" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:bluefront:

Rjmaas512
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Rjmaas512 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:49 pm

I'd not recommend that welder tbh. Does not look like it has any power settings.

I'd recommend something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLARKE-100E-M ... 948wt_1139" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not that particular model but something with different power settings.

I started welding at uni (nice lovely industrial HUGE mig welder). Love having access to professional equipment :guns:

I would probably say get a welder, and a reel of gasless wire and find some scrap bits of steel and play about for an afternoon with all the different settings. Blow holes through some of it and see what the welder is capable of. Make some of it splutter, and see what a good weld looks like and a bad weld looks like. That way you've not wasted any money on a gas bottle.

Then buy a gas bottle and some gas Mig wire. I HIGHLY recommend this. Wish I'd done it sooner. Found mixture 80/20 to be good with the disposable bottles. If your looking at renting a has bottle shop around, and talk to the people when you buy it as to whats the best mixture for your jobs.

Invest in an auto darkening gas mask, love them to bits. So useful.

Wilco are good for welding wire. Pretty cheap as well, and the wire is decent quality.

Newtomud
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Newtomud » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:56 am

lazy rambler wrote:
pompeybloke wrote:There is a really good forum/web site especially for people thinking about buying a welder and teaching them self's there tutorials and forum to ask questions
I'm not sure if this is the site you mean, but I found it helpful http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/
Thanks for posting this.. Very helpful :thumbup: