engine swap and it wont run???

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
slowjoe
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

engine swap and it wont run???

Post by slowjoe » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:24 pm

hi guys been out in the cold all day trying to finish the sj so i can play in the snow. iv got everything dun just dun a full engine swap iv used original carb an wot not and the dam thing wont run it will start for 10-20 seconds on choke i can slowly blip the revs up and it will rev up but the it just dies :er: not a clue wots up only thing i can think is mine has 2 inline fuel filters 1 at the back of the car and 1 at the front i can see the 1 in the front filling up but its up and down not sure if thats right??? only other thing iv gathered is that iv leaked a lil bit of oil whilst starting it not sure if this is from the dipstick hole as iv left my dip at a mates and need to pick it up.
any help would be great cheers joe :salute:

pro4x4@hotmail.com
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: engine swap and it wont run???

Post by pro4x4@hotmail.com » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:06 pm

Hi,

Hook up a temporary fuel bottle directly to the carb and hang it off the bonnet latch so that the carb is gravity fed fuel, that way uve bypassed all in line filters and fuel pump.. You may have a problem with the diaphram in the pump also.. Id imagine the engine should run this way.. Then u can work ur way back..If the engine runs check the feed line from the pump to the carb is still pushing fuel.. Let us know ur result..

slowjoe
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by slowjoe » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:13 pm

ahh nice 1 good idea im hoping im not drawing 2 much air in :er: its deff either a fuel or air problem as iv got a constant good spark.. the only other thing i can say is when its been running a few seconds it wont start streyt back up i have to leave it a min or so...... bit like its flooded but im not sure if its that or the fuel filters because when its stood and not running just after its ran i can see the clear fuel filter filling back up if you no what i mean

pro4x4@hotmail.com
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by pro4x4@hotmail.com » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:20 pm

DefinItely a fuel problem dude.. Hook up the temp fuel bottle leave it running and watch what the fuel feed line is doing.. Itll tell u how much fuel is or isnt getting to the carb.. Also check fuel lines the smallest of cracks or perished hoses will cause fuel to drain back to tank.. Let me know..

Cheers chris..

slowjoe
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by slowjoe » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:23 pm

cheers mate looks like a lot of air in the filter getting quite a few bubbles in there

slowjoe
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by slowjoe » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:55 pm

As I said in an earlier post I seem to av got an oil leak I'm guessing this is from near the dizzy as like an idiot I didn't change the gasket when I did the swap.. Any1 no if this would cause sum kkind if los of vac resulting in low fuel pressure I'm wondering if that could be my problem? And any ideas were to get the gasket without having to buy a full set? Cheers joe

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by dan_2k_uk » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:07 pm

Dizzy housing oil seal is a few quid from suzuki.

Wouldnt have thought it would affect how it runs at all to be honest

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:11 pm

Could the oil be coming from the small hole on the bottom of the fuel pump? If so the diaphragm will be shot and you'll need a new fuel pump.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

slowjoe
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by slowjoe » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:08 pm

could be a need a closer look when i have time just cant understand it cos everything was fine before the swap