Changed the fuel pump but theres something wrong

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
Newtomud
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Re: Changed the fuel pump but theres something wrong

Post by Newtomud » Thu May 03, 2012 10:28 am

Darrell wrote:"googled" Facet fuel pump amperage and found this

http://www.facet-purolator.com/faq.php

So I'm sticking with the black and white wire to ignition coil/carb solenoid (on an SJ) fused to the pump at 3amps.

Not sure what colour the coil feed is on a vitara though :er:
Got the new pump and the instructions say " Connect the red/positive power lead to the oil pressure safety switch. If this pressure switch is not available,connect to the ignition switch voltage supply terminal "
It shows a picture of a pressure switch with three terminals (marked "P" "S" and "I" )

Darrell
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Darrell » Thu May 03, 2012 9:22 pm

Been and checked that out, yes you can get a secondary oil pressure switch just for the fuel pump. (Learn something new every day ;) )
Pump get it's feed from the starter solenoid wire and then switches over to the ignition circuit when it has oil pressure :thumbup: , that would cut the fuel pump off as soon as the engine stopped.
You can add one of these switches or just connect it direct to the ignition circuit.
I wouldn't connect it to the "ignition switch voltage supply terminal" as this would make the pump run all the time :er:
Connect it to ignition voltage supply terminal IE fuse from the coil positive wire.
http://www.holley.com/data/Products/Tec ... 0-1rev.pdf
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

Newtomud
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Newtomud » Sun May 06, 2012 6:20 pm

Thanks again Darrell for helping me with this research :salute:
I hate working with auto electrics and like to keep it simple so I'm going to buy one of those screw driver electrical tester thingy's so I can see where all that electrickery is going.. i.e. from the positive coil connection(just to see what happens when the ignition key is in different positions/helps me understand if I can see it)
In the mean time..
I've bought the new fuel tank and sourced the connections for the 8mm fuel pipe.
I've bought 2m of 8mm fuel hose.
Got the Facet fuel pump.
Got two inline fuel filters.
Ordered a waterproof inline fuse holder, 10 fuel hose clips, 4m of auto electric cable @ 30amps, a grommet for where the hose goes through the boot floor and some of that shrinking hose to insulate the soldered electrical connections.
I've also removed the mechanical fuel pump and made a blanking plate from some 5mm steel.
Biggest problem I've had was drilling the holes in the 5mm plate...(I haven't got many tools) So I went to machine mart and bought a new power drill and some cobalt steel drill bits. Knife through butter :doublethumbs: