Waterproofing

Got an electrical gremlin? Ask the question here.
Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Re: Waterproofing

Post by Tramp » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:22 pm

Yeah upside down box, parting the casings and I've heard of putting grease in the hole so it catches the swarf,

Christoff
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Christoff » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:58 pm

Bloody hell big job just for some axle breathers. It's on my list of mods to do anyway. Is there some kind of join you can get so all 3 breather hoses can go into one outlet somewhere?

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:10 pm

Bits4vits used to do a kit, I used vaccum hose and Y connectors with jubilee clips from my local automotive shop, you only have to do the tapping on the t box, the axles have a longer stub so you can clip straight on, i only did my tbox because I was taking my tbox out anyway

Christoff
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Christoff » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:15 pm

Axles sit lower anyway don't they. It would be rare I go through water as deep as the top of the transfer box I think, Must be at the sill line or above.

tonsky
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by tonsky » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:59 pm

thankyou all for your input this is great ill be out there on saturday with my WD40 and checking on the breather hoses etc.

I think water did soe damage to the starter motor last time but we maaged to clean it up and get it running again. No way to waterproof them i suppose?

Highlander
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Highlander » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:39 pm

I've tried it with silicon etc but i think the water just gets in via the bell housing

The Heretic
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by The Heretic » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:55 pm

Sorry to drag up an old thread. My bro and I did the breathers on my Vit a few eeks back with some garden hose. His breather caps as like little spring loaded caps, that can move up and down. I don't know much about these connectors at all, or about the pressures inside a diff. Is it worth extending these breathers, or is the little springy cap thing a bit like a snorkel? Would the diff suck air in as it cools, therefore water?

No idea, so, do you need breathers, or not? begrudge doing something if we don't need to.

kiwizook
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by kiwizook » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:39 am

your diffs will warm up when you drive around, and will rapidly cool when you hit water or mud, and the pressure inside the diffs drop, sucking in air. if the breather is in the water or mud, it still needs to suck something in, so it will suck in water or mud, whatever is around the breather. so to prevent this you need diff breathers, which is like a mini snorkel, so it will always suck air, and no crap.
the springy caps need to be pulled off, and the hose fitted over the pipe that sits under these springy caps
It's not a question of how much you spend on your suzuki, but when your money will run out

The Heretic
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by The Heretic » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:57 am

Cheers.