whining diff

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
jutwit
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

whining diff

Post by jutwit » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:46 pm

hi guys, my rear diff is whining like a witch on acid, :cry: , ive checked the oil and all is fine, should i put in some thicker oil? change it for a used diff, which may or may not be the in the same nic? just leave it alone and hope for the best? if i put in thicker oil, how thick? oils a bit like me, thick! :lol:

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: whining diff

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:22 pm

I would change it if i was you as it won't be long before it decides to go bang! what oil is in it at the mo? it should be EP90 or an equivalent!

Scott
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

jutwit
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by jutwit » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:43 pm

not sure what oil is in it only checked the level, what should i look for in a used one to know its not knackered?

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:10 pm

check that there is no play in the pinion bearing (the prop shaft flange bit!) and that it spins smoothly. then make sure there is only a small bit of play before the crown wheel moves when the flange is spun ( this is called the backlash) there should only be a very small ammount! inspect all the crown wheel teeth for damage and that there is no play in the bearing carriers (the main to bearings on either side of the crown wheel!)

I think that's pretty much it!
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

jutwit
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by jutwit » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:12 pm

cheers scottie, i will get looking :mrgreen: