free wheeling hubs

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
mic
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

free wheeling hubs

Post by mic » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:27 am

they do what :oops: anyone wanna explain? i get the idea of what they are but unsure of what benefit they are

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Re: free wheeling hubs

Post by Henry » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:31 am

Hi mate.

They basicly unlock the hub so that only the hub is turning, no drive from the engine goes to the front wheels at all! Then when you select 4x4, you need to lock the hubs in, so that they pick up drive from the axle.

They are useful if you break a front shaft, cv ect as you can simply unlock the hubs and drive home on it, and they can act as a bit of a fuel saving measure. They are well worth the investment, or if you have them bonus... the last thing you want to do it have to strip the front end just so you can drive home :lol:

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:29 pm

agreed, and they can also make your steering lighter, and as henry says they can reduce your front wheel drive line compenent wear and slightly reduce your fuel consumption,

the thing to rememeber with the free wheeling hubs (FWH's) i that the asin ones have all metal components, wheras the other sorts use all sorts of plastic pieces so the best ones are the asin. You can get new FWH from bits4vits shop on ebay, although they are pricey (around £130) and arent asin they are still good (dave from bits4vits wouldn't sell sh*te)

Luke

muddy kev
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by muddy kev » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:30 am

i got a set in the shed if anyone is interested. no idea on price. senseable offers i guess.

kev