using a motorbike engine?!

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
mic
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

using a motorbike engine?!

Post by mic » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:41 pm

As theres plenty of space in the engine bay and the SJ410 is light, what about sticking a motorbike engine to the greatbox?! would only need an adaptor for it and some sort of mounts knocking up :lol: the 1000cc old fireblade engine are cheap and plentyful with everthing needed, just drop in and off you go

im soooooooooo tempted :lol: :lol: is there anything i havent thought out?!

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Re: using a motorbike engine?!

Post by Tramp » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:41 pm

i say go for it, but you will need to knock up some sort of shifter as the motorbikes gearbox is sequential, also you might have trouble converting from a 'chain drive' to shaft

another point to consider is torque, sj engines are quite torque-ie wheras motorbike engines arent so, so you may struggle getting up to speed,

Luke

mic
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by mic » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:59 pm

ive looked into this before when i used to have minis and my old fiat 126 :lol: i'll id need to do is get a blanking plate for the gearbox and have the cog bit from the bike engine bolt to the sticky out bit in the sj gearbox.... this means i wouldnt be able to change gear of the bike gearbox, id be using sj box ratio still but it means id be able to change bike gear when its parked up.... so leave it in bike gearbox 1st gear for acceleration or bike 5th gear for motorway crusing. this is also how they mount an electric motor for EV cars, big 30 hp motor to a car gearbox mounted the same way.

as far as i know is what i just rambled on about it a way of doing it, its just a case of fitting the box to it and mounting it.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:44 am

on road then yes! off road then no! it will be crap as they are all revs and no torque!
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

ben_moto501
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by ben_moto501 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:53 pm

I was thinking about this one but was talked out of the idea by a local guy who has a 1100cc Kawasaki engine in a mk1 Fiesta! He was talking about 'reciprocating mass' and how a bike engine is made to move something that weighs 200kgs! It's good in a 700kg car when you can rev the hell out of them to get the power but my SJ, for example, will soon have a cage and it already has very heavy front and rear bumpers and will probably weigh in excess of 1100kgs when finished! I think the SJ will be too heavy for the engine to be 'happy' and that's if it was on the road... Take it off road and you'll find you'll be revving the tits off it all the time! Fun for the first day but would get one my wick very quickly!!
Hope that helps and I don't zound like too much of a bore!! If you have lots of spare time though and want to go for it please feel free to tell me to shut it!! :mrgreen:

Ben