Tramps Truck,

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
SlimGrim
Winching along now
Winching along now

Re: Tramps Truck,

Post by SlimGrim » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:33 am

Haha that's cool!

1988 SJ413 (JSA) Samurai, SoftTop - White (sometimes)

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:53 pm

Love it - it's going on the SJ?
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:39 pm

At this rate you'll be making the Muddy Good Weekend in May.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:37 pm

So look what happened today? I got an hour or so so I changed the zook around so I can do the drivers side rear brake hose

'The kraken awakes'

I then delved into my hazard/indicator not working issue, I quickly narrowed it down to the hazard warning switch repeated operation had it working in a fashion, but no where near reliable enough to send it for an MOT so I pulled it out and started the strip,

Full of old dried up grease, I cleaned it out and put some Vaseline in to repleace the tar I removed (Vaseline because it's non conductive)

I was feeling rather smug as it all went back together, I refitted the switch and...... It didn't work, I thought I'd try swapping the direction of the carriage (as it has long nose on one side) I reassembled it and it only latches in one direction now, :er: i think I may have lost a spring in the disassembly process,

So does anyone have a spare hazard warning switch?

SlimGrim
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by SlimGrim » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:34 am

Is it me or does the carriage look like a car :') anyway hope it all works out! Can't wait to see it on the road

1988 SJ413 (JSA) Samurai, SoftTop - White (sometimes)

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:48 pm

Mine was the same. I filled it with electrical maintenance spray and rolled the dice. Must have worked for the MOT man as it passed.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:01 pm

Well Andy sent me a replacement switch, and we have success! Hazards and indicators both work,

So today, I got a couple of hours (same as always!) I replaced the drivers side wheel drum brake studs for new, it was easier than I thought, as I was anticipating pulling the half shaft again, but luckily I could do it all in situ,

I also replaced my drivers side rear copper brake hose, another job I wasn't looking forward to but was surprisingly easy.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:26 pm

Shiny!

It's coming along well bud.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:22 pm

Thanks, yeah!!! Not much left to do now,

I fitted my wheel on the back today so that's good now. I also had a look at my drivers seat, it really struggled to push backwards on its runners, I noticed that when the bolts were a tightened the rear of the runners were a little splayed indicating the runners were too far apart on the seat base, I removed the runners, opened up the bolt holes and reattached them, it was better but not perfect, so I got them off again

I noticed one of the plastic slides was damaged

Although you can't see it very well, has anyone got any spare seat runners (of this style) going spare?
Last edited by Tramp on Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:00 pm

So today this happened

I wanted to add some braces to the chassis where the calmini kit fastens to it, I intended to do this with some suitably sized bits of tube, a by product of this means I have plenty of bits to go to the powdercoaters,

This much stuff :guns:

The bumper had a couple of holes in which I filled with weld and ground back, hopefully it will be all smooth and virtually invisible after its paint,

I had to remove the bushes from my anti roll bar which was a pain

I guess I'll be looking for some new bushings for them then!

I was also a little worried about the ahackle,

It has more bushes in and I don't really want to replace them, I'll have to see if I can blast it with the bushes in situ and paint it so I don't have to replace them, this is a shame because if I sent it away with the other bits I would probably be able to get them galvanised too,