Full float axle oil leak

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Full float axle oil leak

Post by ferris » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:05 pm

So I fitted a full float axle conversion a couple of weeks ago and now I have oil leaking from one of the wheels. It seams to be getting into the hub running through the bearings.
Has anyone els had this problem or know any way I could stop it?
86 SJ413 tin top, 1.6 8v, SU carb, YJ spring conversion, virtual lift, 33x12.5x15 KL71's, rocklobster, rear discs, power steering.

andyrew
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Re: Full float axle oil leak

Post by andyrew » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:36 am

I think this is the only down fall of the full float kits avaliable.
When I actually bother to fit mine I planned on having a adapter made for oil seal that would go in the space where the previous
Larger oil seal went. If that makes sense.
Basically a disc the same od as the previous oil seal
But with a hole in the centre to fit a small oil seal to go around the new full float shafts.
Andys Rusty Suzuki Emporium

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by ferris » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:39 pm

Yeah that seems like the only solution.

Is there not an oil seal on the market that could fill the gap without making up a metal adapter?
86 SJ413 tin top, 1.6 8v, SU carb, YJ spring conversion, virtual lift, 33x12.5x15 KL71's, rocklobster, rear discs, power steering.

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here

Post by dan_2k_uk » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:10 pm

When I eventually fit mine I planned to make something that fits where the old bearing would have sat and holds a seal.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

andyrew
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by andyrew » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:05 pm

I recon you could find an off the shelf seal
That could do the job.
Andys Rusty Suzuki Emporium

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:23 pm

Yeah if you get the dimension of the shaft and the outer size of the original it shouldn't be hard.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

Anton

Post by Anton » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:22 am

I've ordered a full float kit from Rockwatt. I ordered it from him and not from RS because RW builds in seals, plus frankly Rob's attitude when I've spoken to him about custom length shafts (which his webbie says he'll do) was pretty crappy.

Richard was totally happy to build me up a kit with custom length shafts for a 413 axle, plus 10mm each side (going to make spacers) where Rob (eventually) promised a couple of years ago that he'd contact me next time he was going to have a set of shafts made up, but never got back to me. Rang Rob again last year and he just wasn't interested.

When my health improves (and RW sends me the gear) I'll build up a rear axle and let you know my thoughts on the seals and so on. Plan is to build up a rear axle that is exactly the width of the current one. We'll have to see how that works out.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:48 am

Rob Stoor's attitude was crappy? I'm shocked!
If it ticks over...leave it

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:56 am

I've spoken to him twice and he was a miserable sod both times so I gave up on the idea of buying his stuff
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:31 am

Anton wrote:I've ordered a full float kit from Rockwatt. I ordered it from him and not from RS because RW builds in seals, plus frankly Rob's attitude when I've spoken to him about custom length shafts (which his webbie says he'll do) was pretty crappy.

Richard was totally happy to build me up a kit with custom length shafts for a 413 axle, plus 10mm each side (going to make spacers) where Rob (eventually) promised a couple of years ago that he'd contact me next time he was going to have a set of shafts made up, but never got back to me. Rang Rob again last year and he just wasn't interested.

When my health improves (and RW sends me the gear) I'll build up a rear axle and let you know my thoughts on the seals and so on. Plan is to build up a rear axle that is exactly the width of the current one. We'll have to see how that works out.
Getting mine from RockWatt too, I'm on 11months and waiting. Shouldn't be long now. Will have built in seals and be the same width as standard axle though.
Last edited by Jordi on Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank