king pins

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
DaveRobson
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

king pins

Post by DaveRobson » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:08 pm

i bought the bearings and come with a drive shaft seal kit. but when i was gonna fit them, the person helping me said i should get new king pins and swivel seal?

will the old pins be worn/stuck to a point where new ones would be better?

anyone else had these problems?

dave

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: king pins

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:47 am

I only change the seals if are in a bad state and only change the kingpins if there is still play after the bearings have been replaced. sounds like someone is trying to squeeze more money out of you to me! I hate people like that!

If it ain't broke, dont fix it :mrgreen:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

DaveRobson
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by DaveRobson » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:36 pm

nah he's alright. but the sort that says, might aswell whilst your there.

but i cba to get the parts, ive owned it about 3weeks and havnt been driving it for 2 =(

cheers for the info, think i'll just give it ago. and if im wrong i just wont ever let on :roll:

dave

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:25 pm

Sorry didn't realise it was a mate of yours doing it! I thought it might be a garage trying to squeeze more parts and labour out of you. I'm sure they'll be fine matey :mrgreen:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

DaveRobson
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by DaveRobson » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:47 am

lol no worrys. im a mechanic but as im only 20 i've never touched king pins lol, so getting some one older with some knowledge to help.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:32 pm

ah I see! :mrgreen: well if they do turn out to be in a bad state, i've got loads lying around i could pop in the post for a few beer tokens :mrgreen:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

DaveRobson
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by DaveRobson » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:49 pm

scottiej410 wrote:ah I see! :mrgreen: well if they do turn out to be in a bad state, i've got loads lying around i could pop in the post for a few beer tokens :mrgreen:

cool sounds good to me. cheers

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:34 am

hugh42 wrote:Scottie: How do you adjust the king pins / bearings if there is a little bit of movement in the front wheel when you give it a lateral tug when its off the ground? Presumably there is only so much adjustment before both need replacing.
Am I right in thinking that you can do some of the adjusting by removing the free wheel mechanism while the wheel is still on the truck? If so, which bits do you undo? (I know you have to have the free wheel unlocked before you undo anything or it all dissembles itself.) :?:
Are you deffo sure it's movement in the kingpin bearings (can see movement on the swivel) and not the wheel bearings (cant see movement on the swivel) to adjust play in the wheel bearings you remove the free wheeling hub as you describe, remove locking nut and tabs, tighten up to remove play and re fit locking nut and tabs.

If it's the king pins then they are shimmed.
As play develops remove a shim at a time to get rid of it until there are no shims left. once there is play and no shims are left then it's time for new bearings. you might find that there is only play in the top or borrom bearing not both so adjust as necessary.

all you need to do to remove shims is jack the truck up and remove the king pin bolts (taking the wheel off makes life a bit easier but i never really bother!) when putting the king pins back in just give the knuckle a little wobble to get it all lined up and they should just slid in.

When you fit them with fresh bearings I usually start with 3/4 shims on each one, check for play and remove as necessary to remove any play.

hope that helps :mrgreen:
Attachments
kingpininfo.jpg
kingpininfo.jpg (180.29 KiB) Viewed 8299 times
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

DaveRobson
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by DaveRobson » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:37 pm

thank you for that info, this will be very usefull.

my plan is to pull it apart and see what ive got as i go along, as i have the bearings i'll fit them.
i am also going to check front and rear wheel bearing adjustment.

cheers

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:33 pm

rear wheel bearings are semi floaters and have no adjustment, if there is play you need a complete new bearing kit :mrgreen:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!