Leaky brake thing

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Leaky brake thing

Post by ferris » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:45 pm

More problems :evil: :evil: Not to sure what this is but it seems to be leaking very slightly. :evil: :evil:

Can any body shine some light on what it is, and where i might be able to get a replacement????

86 SJ413 tin top, 1.6 8v, SU carb, YJ spring conversion, virtual lift, 33x12.5x15 KL71's, rocklobster, rear discs, power steering.

Pugsley
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Leaky brake thing

Post by Pugsley » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:30 pm

Looks like a pressure reducing valve to me - yours is a bit different to the one fitted to my SJ410 but I'm pretty sure I'm right. Its purpose is to limit the rear braking effort when you brake heavily where the nose dips under load and the rear becomes light - it's a safety measure. I once removed the valve on my vehicle to try and undo the bleed nipple which was necessary when I was bleeding the brakes - it was stuck fast and I was in great danger of snapping it.

With a bit of carefully applied blowtorch heat (you have to be careful of not destroying any of the inner seals) whilst applying an even pressure with a ring spanner, the nipple finally released itself. I stripped the inners - a bit gunged up but all looked well after cleaning and it appears to work. When it looked as though I might snap the nipple I asked my Suzuki dealer as to the cost of a replacement - It's surprising how you can cope when quoted £350.00 plus VAT!

Unfortunately I don't know where else you might be able to get one or even if seals are available - your doesn't appear to be "strippable" but I may be wrong.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:31 pm

where exactly is it leaking from???? and yes it's a sort of bias valve.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by ferris » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:31 pm

350quid!!!!! :shock: Dam you suzuki main steelers! :evil: :evil:

Yours sounds quite different to mine Pugsley, doesn't look like mine comes apart unfortunately. I cant work out where it is leaking from, its such a miner leak. It takes about 24 hours to accumulate one small drip. Iv tweeked all the pipe connections but they all seemed quite tight allready. If its still leaking tomorrow il take it off for a closer inspection. There is no way im forking out that kind of money for a new one.

Cheers for your help.
86 SJ413 tin top, 1.6 8v, SU carb, YJ spring conversion, virtual lift, 33x12.5x15 KL71's, rocklobster, rear discs, power steering.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:49 pm

You could always remove it and fit an aftermarket bias valve up by the master cylinder. You would need to re do all the lines though
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:50 pm

I have seen on a few vits that have fitted rear discs a after market one that could be altered. Unsure of what it was or what it consists of but im sure it was a lot cheaper than £350.

Pugsley
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Pugsley » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:58 pm

Thinking about stripping this valve down - it must be possible otherwise it couldn't have been assembled. The cover on the left of the assembly with the green label stuck to it looks the likely candidate for removal. If you are serious about trying to repair the leak I think you are going to have to remove it first, clean and examine it. Don't do nothing - we are talking about safety equipment here!

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by ferris » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:57 pm

Well i took it apart it all looks ok. I can only assume the rubber seal had failed, so iv cleaned it up and im going to put some gasket sealer on the rubber seal. Hope it works!!

Pugsley
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Pugsley » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:08 pm

Much less complicated internals than on mine so it shouldn't be a problem. Meticulous cleanliness is the order of the day here, so clean all the parts, especially the internal section of the valve body. Yours doesn't appear to have a bleed nipple - all the one's I've seen do.

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by ferris » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:43 pm

Well since i took it apart and "fixed" it back in October it's been leaking more than ever :x , and iv been getting through a alarming amount of brake fluid. Iv been trying to get hold of a second hand one for a while now with no luck. In the end i had to give in. So i moved some funds around, cashed in some investments, re-morgaged the house and went to the main dealers :lol: and here it is, all £130 worth :bawling:

On the plus side though, my brakes dont leak any more :smokin: .

Part number 51910-83110