Hi From New Member

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Hi From New Member

Post by ROBBIE » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:14 pm

I watched Guy Martin last night and he was using a device for that problem :lol:
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

Andrews
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Andrews » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:34 pm

Thanx Robbie , saw it myself , problem is the tube would have to be about 8ft long to hit the dirt , otherwise I risk pissing up the side of Helens truck !!!!!

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:46 pm

You are more than welcome for the wheels matey, and thanks to you and Helen for the wine, I'm enjoying it right now! :wine:
If it ticks over...leave it

Andrews
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Andrews » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:28 am

Alex the wheels are great thankyou , Can anybody answer this rather simple question as I cant seem to find it here ? Torque wrench amount for wheel nuts . Ive got a lot of wheel changing to do as now got Helens truck back and finished and got 10 wheels to paint ! Also we are going to fit some all terrains on the vitara steels we got from Alex . Has anybody got any experience of the General Grabber At . The latest one they seem to fit to all the landys .It has a revolutionary pattern but doesn't look very aggressive to me . It will be for response work on snow and ice on roads and wondered if any one had tried them . Hope the 215 75 15 fit fine on the steel vitara rims and the rims are being painted a cool purple .
at Broxhead common marshalling for BLORC tomorrow so will be getting the truck muddy .
Will be putting up some pics soon .
:thumbup:

Rhinoman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Rhinoman » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:52 pm

215/75 R15s are ideal for the Vit rims. I haven't tried the latest BFGs but they are usually very good.
2006 Jimny JLX+ 1.3 VVT
2000 Vitara 4u2 - Calmini 3+3, 33" MTs, 5:83 R&Ps, winch bumper, remapped ECU.
1986 Suzuki SJ413K - G16 conversion
1984 Suzuki SJ410 - Blitz

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:21 pm

Andrews wrote:Can anybody answer this rather simple question as I cant seem to find it here ? Torque wrench amount for wheel nuts .
According to the manual it should be

50 - 80Nm
5.0 - 8.0kgm
36.5 - 57.5lbft
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:10 pm

I just tighten up with a big old extended socket. And alloys are more fragile than steels so don't overtighten them!

Those gits at tyre centres really annoy me doing up an alloy with an air gun. Mate has just bought a Jag at stupid cheap money as the wheel nuts are so over tight they sunk into the alloy and won't come off!
If it ticks over...leave it

Andrews
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Andrews » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:25 pm

Thanx guys 80 nm hey that helps yes ive had a bad experience with my last anus renegade a locking wheel nut and a tyre fitter wielding an air gun lets say he neatly had to have the windy hammer removed ! Hence why i ask the proper torque value :thumbup:

Andrews
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Andrews » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:14 pm

Bit of an update on Helens truck and a few questions .
As you all know its a re bodied truck originally registered in 1991 as a 413 softop which brings up a few questions as its now bodied as a long wheelbase hardtop samurai if there is such a thing? .
The question is does a 413 have the same size/ width axles as a samurai ? I thought a samurai had wider axles than a 413 as it presents questions about replacement wheelbearings discs etc ?
Any info would be helpful as I don't know the timeline of these things .
Further update about the truck .
After using it successfully at Broxhead for Blorc we returned it to precision autos for further reengineering as we were suffering massive vibration after engaging 4 wheel drive .
It was found to be caused by the engine being mounted too far to the passenger side of the engine bay and the bellhousing hitting the transmission tunnel . It also appears this had tried to be corrected/fixed/bodged by fitting a very stiff polybush to one engine mount to stop the engine twisting left and banging the transmission tunnel. Precision autos had a machined up a press together engine mount with the correct rubber insert made up for the left side and cut away and repositioned the right side engine mount , moving the engine across approx. 20mm and tilted slighty and correctly aligned .
The single cherry bomb exhaust was fiercely loud so we have had it cut and a stainless silencer welded in and this has also improved power as we think it has raised back pressure.
The fuel system repair was found not to have worked as it was still suffering starvation and when investigated further by dropping the tank , it appears the replumbed breather system originally fitted when the truck was rebodied was fitted back into the tank ! Precision autos have now resolved this by welding an 8mm breather into the tank after first spending an hour or so flushing the tank as it was full of rust ! The fuel lines and breather pipes are also now properly p clipped to the chassis as opposed to being cable tied as was and they have also installed an electric fuel pump .
The dash board has had an extensive rewire , the under bonnet is now completely rewired with a new relay system and most of the fuel line replaced.
Also curiously the extended axle breathers we asked to be fitted when we bought the truck , seemed only to be for show as the rear one didn't exist , the original short length still sitting on the top of the fuel tank . The front one however does exist , I will be checking its actually connected!
On a positive note 3 of the 5 wheels are now metallic purple as is the repainted front bumper .

We are both very disappointed by the standard of the original engineering of truck and question its likely reliability if we had not commissioned this work .
We are not there yet but if there is a moral to our story? , reputations are built on thorough engineering and by good experiences , we are having this great experience with Precision Autos. We believed the reputation of a big name would hold good when we were searching for and subsequently buying the truck .
To our sad and costly experience it has failed miserably and totally .
However after spending more than the truck cost in reengineering Helen will own the truck of her dreams . Caveat emptor !!! :thumbdown:

Anton

Post by Anton » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:22 pm

Samurai axles are identical to SJ413 axles bar being physically wider and slightly different leaf spring mounts. The axle tubes and halfshafts are a little longer, but other than that Suzuki didn't really re-engineer - all the bearings and seals etc are the same.

As for a well known established "engineer" letting you down with lazy, poor workmanship, I have to say that I'm sorry, but not surprised.

If I don't make it myself, or get it from someone who I know for sure does excellent work, I'm not interested. Some of the "famous" SJ engineering companies/people are just downright crooks. I've always had a particular dislike of anything made by the guy who did your front bumper.

One or two are amazing. But unfortunately we seem to be surrounded by wOllies.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map