Blowing exhaust and I'm not a mechanic!

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
Phillips321
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Blowing exhaust and I'm not a mechanic!

Post by Phillips321 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:50 pm

So then guys,

My exhaust is blowing from the middle box section where the downpipes connects the the box. The angle bracket has rusted away allowing the box to separate from the pipe. If i press the box back into the pipe it seems to seal it again.

If you had this issue what would you do to fix it cheaply?

Thanks

Matt

P.s. I work on computers so am not a mechanic, but don't mind getting my hands dirty.

SherwoodNash
Winching along now
Winching along now

Re: Blowing exhaust and I'm not a mechanic!

Post by SherwoodNash » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:36 pm

Those type of failures are the hardest to repair on the cheap with the Holts exhaust repair type of stuff.

It's not like a pipe hole which can be 'bandaged'. Whilst 'Gun Gum' will hold for a little while on it's own, it will crack open again with vibration.

I had similar blow at my back box, and was only picked up as an MOT advisory as a slight leakage of exhaust gasses.

Your best bet is find a local welder; as they're rare as hen's teeth near me, I tried the Gun Gum but it soon blew again, so just went and bought a new back section for £30 and fitted it myself in an hour.

Good luck!

ForrestHarris
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by ForrestHarris » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:45 pm

I've never had any luck with gun gum, always seems to harden then crumble away in a few days.
If it has split on an existing weld, either weld over it or as sheerwood said get a new pipe.
£55 on ebay :D

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:27 am

where in Gloucestershire are you? I'm in corsham, Wiltshire and if you could get it to me I could weld it up for you......well once the part to fix my MIG arrives
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!