Gearbox Rebuilding

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
mike harris
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Re: Gearbox Rebuilding

Post by mike harris » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:08 pm

I can ship you a gearbox you will get it in 3 weeks max.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:32 pm

Overnight courier can probably be organised for £50 ish

http://forum.suzukiclubuk.co.uk/vi ... f=2&t=7579
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Pugsley
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Pugsley » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:45 pm

I may have said this before - I certainly did to someone with a similar problem, when you contact your local Suzuki Dealer for parts, always have your full chassis number to hand. This is the only sure way of positively identifying your vehicle. I've never had a problem in getting parts - admittedly they never seem to have stock of anything but even really obscure parts arrive in a few days.

A few months ago I rebuilt my 4 speed gearbox on my 410 and during reassembly I accidently sent what they call a circlip but I call a C clip pinging across the garage. It required quite a lot of pressure to fit it on to the shaft and I slipped causing it to go AWOL - never to be found again. Not feeling at all confident that I would ever get a replacement from my dealer in Barnstaple I was surprised that it was available and arrived in 24 hours.

HuwJones
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by HuwJones » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:56 pm

Thanks for the offer Mike, but I’ve already purchased the gearbox. The guy said he is happy with keeping the gearbox for a few weeks until I can pick it up. However I’m going for the 'Rolling Rebuild' idea, where I buy a part, refurbish it then fit it. So I’ll keep you in mind when i need a parts in the future. :thumbup:
Sunday my Dad had a go in the Zuk (for the first time) He thought it would be similar to driving his Pajero.... :brows:
He got out and the first thing he said was "You expect that (gearbox) to last until August?" And commented about how there was "something wrong with the steering, it's too heavy" :er:
I then reminded him that it has no power steering. :brows:
He then reminded me that I hadn't had a present from him at Christmas.... He said he wouldn't buy the gearbox, but he would go get it for me :doublethumbs:
So looks like I will have a gearbox sometime this month.
There's three ways of doing things,
1) The Right Way,
2) The Wrong Way
3) My Way.
2 & 3 are usually the same.

HuwJones
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by HuwJones » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:45 pm

After some discussion. Sunday is D-Day!
1) The Right Way,
2) The Wrong Way
3) My Way.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:20 pm

Good stuff, just checked out your profile and saw your job too. Looks pretty cool, presume you get to work on the double fairleys.

There not many people learn those sort of skills these days. I went to see "Tornado" being built in Darlington. Nothing but impressive!
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

HuwJones
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by HuwJones » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:39 pm

Yeah, get to work on some pretty unique locomotives and Victorian machinery. The Double Fairlies are the only ones that are in regular passenger traffic in the world and 'Prince', which as recently been overhauled, is the oldest running locomotive in the world that still runs on the original line it was built for.
We've got all sorts of things, such as 'Mountaineer' one of 100 locomotives built by the American Locomotive Company (ALCo) for the first world war, and it's one of 3 surviving and the only one that is likely to run again (currently out of traffic).
Where I work, Boston Lodge is the oldest running workshop in the world that has produced locomotives in the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries.
I'll shut up now.... this is a Suzuki Forum.... :D
1) The Right Way,
2) The Wrong Way
3) My Way.

HuwJones
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by HuwJones » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:02 pm

On Sunday my Dad and I drove to Sheffield to pick up the gearbox. After inspection it looked to be in good condition.
After work today I cleaned the entire casing. After inspection, I’m pretty sure that the gearbox has been overhauled sometime in the not too distant past. There is fresh (ish) silicone at all of the seams (Doesn't look like it is 20 odd years old) and the oil seal that you can see at the output looks almost new.
So, tomorrow, my boss (who I bought the SJ off and the guy that replaced the clutch before I bought it) will give me a hand to replace the gearbox as I have never done such a thing before, assembling the clutch is the only bit I’m really worried about. Whilst we are replacing the gearbox I will put a refurbished rear prop shaft on.
So, plenty to get on with!

Huw Jones
1) The Right Way,
2) The Wrong Way
3) My Way.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:40 pm

Its a doddle. Two of you should have it done in under 2 hrs. If your not changing the clutch its just a case of undoing the cable and readjusting when it goes back on.

HuwJones
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by HuwJones » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:56 pm

I won't be changing the clutch; it's only done about 2000 miles. I've never done anything like this before so I could do with some assistance!
There will be an update with photos tomorrow...
1) The Right Way,
2) The Wrong Way
3) My Way.