Gearbox Rebuilding

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: Gearbox Rebuilding

Post by Jordi » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:04 am

Assistance is always good. I've never had anything to do with 410s but principal is the same.

As your not swapping the clutch it'll be a lot quicker. If you have access to an inspection pit (at work?) makes it even easier.

Learning by doing is the best way, having someone a bit more experienced to help is always nice though.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

HuwJones
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by HuwJones » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:56 pm

I feel like a tw*t.

Spent two and a half hours after work removing the front and rear prop shafts, transfer box and finally removing the gearbox.
Took it to the bench next to the replacement to remove the reverse light sensor and noticed the two gearboxes where different :(

After some reading, I think that I have bought an 'early' SJ 410 gearbox where as my 1989 SJ has a 'later' box; similar to the 413 I am told. I also found out that my bell housing is cracked. :cry:
I managed to get it going, but I won't be able to put a overhauled gearbox in it like I hoped to.
DAMN IT!! :pissed:
So, a total of 2 1/2 hours was spent by three of us Myself, My boss and a co-worker (he was 'curious', he has a Land Rover) removing all of the bits when in actual fact I only needed to remove the gaiter, take the selector out (the bit with the springs and ball) on top of the box and replace a spring that had seized up.
I now owe them several pints and lunch on Friday.
It seems that i am a expert in f*****g up and throwing money away. I will now go bash my head against a wall...
Huw
There's three ways of doing things,
1) The Right Way,
2) The Wrong Way
3) My Way.
2 & 3 are usually the same.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:20 pm

If its a 410 5sp box you have bought at least it should be easy enough to sell on.

We all make dumb ass mistakes bud.

Did you take photos of them while they were out?
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

HuwJones
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by HuwJones » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:48 pm

This is the one i bought. Is iit a early type box? Diameter of the spline on the input shaft are aprox 20mm

Huw
There's three ways of doing things,
1) The Right Way,
2) The Wrong Way
3) My Way.
2 & 3 are usually the same.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:54 pm

I think this is why i like the 1.3 series. Everything is all the same (pretty much anyways).