410 smoking after oil change?

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Re: 410 smoking after oil change?

Post by timwilks13 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:04 am

ScottieJ wrote:
timwilks13 wrote:I only wondered if you had as with a lot of old engines general oil gunk can plug the tiny holes/gaps/cracks etc and using engine flush cleans all them out and can show you oil leaks that were previously sealed, which might have been one reason for the smoking, but you didnt which is good.
Same thing can happen switching to semi-synthetic in an engine that has always used mineral oil.
That i did not know!
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:05 pm

ScottieJ wrote:It is possible to do the valve stem oil seals without removing the head but it can be awkward when refitting the collets as they are a non interference engine so you can't cheat and use the piston to hold the valves up.
Years ago I had the valve stem seals changed on a 5 cylinder Audi. This was done with the head in place. I believe they fitted an air line to the spark plug hole, put the cylinder on the compression stroke, and this held the valves in place. I've never done it, but it sounds plausable.
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

Sj410red
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Sj410red » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:34 pm

Thanks for your posts chaps, I think I will suffer it smoking for now, I've noticed I've got a slight leak from the water pump so I will wait until I need to that then I can do stem seals while I got cam belt off at the same time.
3" calmini lift springs
6" shackles
Rough Country Shocks
Z bar
32mm spacers
Aisan free wheeling hubs
Roll bar
Snorkel
K&N air filter
Poly bushes all round
Diff & Box high breather pipes
Front Diff guard

Jay18
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by Jay18 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:49 pm

That makes sense now, mine only started smoking and leaking oil from the crank seals when I done it's first oil change since I had it and it's got worse with each oil change I've done, well I haven't had to drain the oil myself the zuk has done it and I've been topping it up every week...

Guess I need to find the courage to get the engine out and do the seals while I've got the chance

Once the engines warmed up the smokes cleared, but everywhere I park it leaves rainbows on the ground..
2003 Grand Vitara 2.0 16v
16x7 Black 8 spokes
Nexen road tyres
32mm spacers
Kenwood Double Din Head Unit
Hidden CB radio
Cruise Control
GV Build Thread

SJ Build Thread
Facebook

YouTube
SuzukiPicsUK on Instagram

Rhinoman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Rhinoman » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:07 pm

Using air in the cylinder is quite common, you can buy the adapters but its quite simple to mod an old spark plug.
If you have over-filled you can get smoke from excessive crankcase pressure. The PCV valve, if stuck shut, can also cause smoking.
2006 Jimny JLX+ 1.3 VVT
2000 Vitara 4u2 - Calmini 3+3, 33" MTs, 5:83 R&Ps, winch bumper, remapped ECU.
1986 Suzuki SJ413K - G16 conversion
1984 Suzuki SJ410 - Blitz

jim tylee
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by jim tylee » Sat May 10, 2014 10:12 am

Never use engine flush..it moves dirt from crevices that are best left where they are not circulating round the engine.....
jim