Tom's 85' SJ413 (Shake,Rattle,Roll) NOW UP FOR SALE

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
turbo-tom
I spend far too much time on here

Re: toms 1985 sj build better late then never ;)

Post by turbo-tom » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:45 pm

got to leave the petrol tank side of things as i need to order my checker plate.

so i have started to paint the front arches

from this Image

to thisImage

then got a bit carried away :D doing the leaf springs , steering rods , axle , diff , oh and im missing a bumpstop but new ones should be on tomorrow
Last edited by turbo-tom on Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Re: Tom's 85' S413 Build

Post by Tramp » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:10 pm

Calmini shackle reversal kits are great aren't they? Did you weld your reversal towers to your winch bumper? Is that already welded to your chassis? The only thing I don't like about the calmini kit is how the towers mount to the front of the chassis I was thinking of making some packers to sit inside the chassis cross section to give the tower something to tighten on to

turbo-tom

Post by turbo-tom » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:49 pm

Tramp wrote:Calmini shackle reversal kits are great aren't they? Did you weld your reversal towers to your winch bumper? Is that already welded to your chassis? The only thing I don't like about the calmini kit is how the towers mount to the front of the chassis I was thinking of making some packers to sit inside the chassis cross section to give the tower something to tighten on to
they great for what i need suspension for but pretty hard but that probably down to my shocks , i cant weld at all i bought it like it but whoever built it must of been wanting to die this re build has learnt me alot :shock: , the towers are bolted though the chassi and welded i think cant actually remember , my winch bumper (on the truck when i bought it) is scary really thinking about chopping it of and starting again just been made up of bits of scrap and stuck together with blue tac aka a shit weld, has got other bolting points aswell though

turbo-tom

Post by turbo-tom » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:05 pm

bumpstops due for replacement its a bit obvious what ones are the old ones!

need to paint my shocks im thinking!!

Anton

Post by Anton » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:46 am

I really like those bumpstops! Great build, Tom. And yes, paint those shocks! :)
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:04 am

where did you get the bump stops from? I think yours are mounted a bit high! my calmini kit came with some extension blocks, didn't yours? My shocks are rusting in exactly the same place! it matches the sills!

turbo-tom

Post by turbo-tom » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:52 am

Tramp wrote:where did you get the bump stops from? I think yours are mounted a bit high! my calmini kit came with some extension blocks, didn't yours? My shocks are rusting in exactly the same place! it matches the sills!

got them from a fellow person on the scuk facebook page thing if i remember correctly ;)

regarding the calmini suspension i really dont know mate it came with the truck and it works a treat so i have just left it the only thing i have for it is the recite in the service history
Anton wrote:I really like those bumpstops! Great build, Tom. And yes, paint those shocks! :)
my shocks yeah i dont know what colour to paint them :roll:

turbo-tom

Re: Tom's 85' SJ413 Build

Post by turbo-tom » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:46 pm

painted my battery strap and chamber thing today :D stolen the idea from a fellow scuk member (hope you didnt mind!)

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:01 am

Nice one, heres my bumpstops with the Calmini kit spacers fitted,

I imagine you will need something similar if you want them to work as they should. It would be a real shame to see you buy brand new spacers & have them not work because they are too high.

turbo-tom

Post by turbo-tom » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:17 am

Tramp wrote:Nice one, heres my bumpstops with the Calmini kit spacers fitted,

I imagine you will need something similar if you want them to work as they should. It would be a real shame to see you buy brand new spacers & have them not work because they are too high.
ahh never seen something like that before!? i take it mine are allright because i can pretty much get my wheel right up into the arch when i flex it on a ramp, but if i have problems do you know were i would be able to get them?