Extended spring perches?

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Extended spring perches?

Post by d_r_1989 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:06 pm

Iv been told by a landrover friend that on the series they would extend the perches to help prevent axle wrap, by chance I came across a thread on diff lock and that was debating the need for anti wrap bars. In this thread someone stated that longer perches help but increase the spring rate due to more contact on the spring. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of this? I like the idea but don't want to lose flex or comfort as I seem to have found a perfect (to me) balance.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Extended spring perches?

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:37 pm

Yes they can help reduce axle wrap, however in the words of Tim pink, easier than me writing it and he sums it up well (probably from the same thread that you found)
Tim Pink wrote:"Longer perches reduce flex"
True in one sense, longer perches reduce the effective length of the spring increasing its rate thus reducing travel for a given load. Assuming that you increase the load to flex the spring the same you will increase the stress within the spring possibly past its failure point

"Longer spring perches do help as the surface of the perch is spread further along the spring, meaning it will take more torque and leverage to 'twist' the springs"

Separating cause and effect is difficult with this statement, If a short perch has no movement between it and the spring then the only effect of a longer perch is to increase the spring rate as detailed above.

I ran superflexy low rate springs on the racer with 3" perches to reduce the dead zone in the springs. I had a tuned 16v and had no axle tramp even when side stepping the clutch at 3500 rpm. (I used this as a startline technique for a couple of races, in the end I decided it was just too hard on the driveline for the gains)
Personally I would rather run shorter perch and a well made anti wrap bar, it's the best way to maximise spring life and flex.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by d_r_1989 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:57 am

Cheers Scottie. Ye that's what I had read, what length are the standard perche's do you know?

mike harris
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by mike harris » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:12 am

I'm so against anti wrap bars !

Just fit good quality springs !

All of these setups that wrap always use stock springs, I run missing ok is and don't wrap up !!

Sorry in advance :)

Mike

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:03 am

mike harris wrote:I'm so against anti wrap bars !
For what reasons? Without one you will always get some axle wrap on leaf springs no matter what springs you use, it's not something you can often tell is happening from the drivers seat unless it's really bad.

Even if the diff nose only raises or dips a few mm during initial acceleration or changes in speed/torque loads that's still axle wrap.

Maybe we should list the pros and cons of an anti wrap bar and let the individual decide if they want to fit one or not. Yes you don't have to run an anti wrap bar, but there are many benefits and they will increase spring life, especially if you want to run softer more supple springs to help with flex and ride comfort.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Post by timwilks13 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:40 am

Im with Mike, hate anti wrap bars. Part of owning an SJ is the one to one time you get to spend with them in the garage, and not running anti-wrap bars gives you all that extra time in the garage replacing knackered springs!
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:54 am

You cant talk tim you abandoned your SJ and left it to die.... a truck is for life not just for christmas!
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

Anton
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:47 pm

I want to make a set of anti-wrap bars. Why are you againt them, Mike?
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by d_r_1989 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:20 pm

Ok as the 'individual' :roll: I want a list of pros and cons please. My rear springs are bedford rascal springs with the top leaf changed for one of my unknown spares which is slightly longer than standard giving me good flex. Got to say the comfort and flex is really good. Can't say I have wrap at the minute as the axle will pivot because of the spring perche's.

Iv heard that if you use an anti wrap bar it can break the axle casing?

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:42 pm

Maybe a badly designed anti wrap could, it wouldn't really break the casing but if not made well I guess it could bind and rip the axle case open.

Cons...
1.Takes some time to fabricate
2.A bad design could limit flex (so can remove this if it's designed well)

Pros....
1.Reduces axle wrap and this...
a. increases spring life
b.increases UJ life
2.Reduces axle tramp providing more positive drive.
3.No need to run heavy duty springs
4.No need to run long spring perches that increase the "dead zone" of the springs
5.Less twisting force on the perches during hard acceleration

Anyone think of any others? So basically there aren't really any cons unless it's designed badly.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!